What’s Inside: Looking for the best dairy-free cheese sauce? Here are three recipes to make on repeat. Plus, they’re Paleo, Whole30, and AIP!
The Best Cheese Sauce Is Dairy-Free!
When I first eliminated dairy from my diet many moons ago, I felt a lot of things. I felt way better, I saw less skin breakouts and irritations, and my digestion improved, to name a few. But, I also felt a dairy-shaped gaping hole in the depth of my soul. And so began the search for dairy-free substitutes to be able to enjoy the foods I missed most like mac and cheese, ice cream, and, of course, a good ol’ cheese board.
This post is all about the sauce, though, because cheese sauce can be used in so many different ways. Between pouring it on veggies, gluten-free pasta, veggie noodles, and using it in casseroles, it’s become quite a staple in my fridge because it’s easy to make and delicious!
The three best dairy-free cheese sauces highlighted in this post are my go-to’s, and two of them are AIP-friendly, meaning they’re nut-free, vegan, and packed with veggies. This is also a great way to get kids or picky eaters to consume more veggies (in a sneaky way).
…Cue the evil laugh – muahaha!
What You Need To Make Dairy-Free Cheese
- Nutritional Yeast: Different from bakers or brewer’s yeast, this is a pivotal ingredient in dairy-free cheese recipes. It provides a cheesy-like taste. This is the brand I use.
- Lemon Juice or Vinegar: This helps with that little bite that cheese has and brings something acidic to your recipe.
- Cauliflower, Nuts, Coconut, or Potato: Something that will be creamy in texture whether it be from fat (nuts, coconut) or starch (like potato or arrowroot starch).
Ways To Use Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
- Butternut Squash Lasagna
- Spaghetti Squash Pastitsio (Baked Ziti)
- Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
- As a dip on a platter
- Poured over tortilla chips as a vegan nacho cheese sauce
- Use it on any pasta dish
- Drizzle over broccoli or Brussels sprouts for a cheesy green veggie dish
The Top 3 Dairy-Free (and Vegan) Cheese Sauce Recipes
More Healthy, Dairy-free Recipe Collections
- 6 Favorite AIP Desserts (Paleo and Autoimmune Protocol)
- 10 Best (and Creamiest) Dairy-Free Soups
- Paleo BBQ Menu (Whole30 and AIP-friendly)
- Best Grain Alternatives (Grain-free Products and Recipes)
- Favorite Spa Water Flavors + How to Stay Hydrated
- 8+ Healthy Caffeine-Free Drinks
Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce (+ more Dairy-free Cheese Sauce Recipes)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled white sweet potato (skin peeled off)
- 1 cup+ water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 juiced lemon or 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until your sauce forms, add more water as needed to loosen and use in cooking or store for up to 5-days in the fridge.