What’s Inside: An easy microwavable AIP English Muffin that takes just 4-minutes and 7 simple, AIP-compliant ingredients. The result is a crisp exterior and chewy middle, perfect for slicing up and topping with your favorite shmear.
4-minute AIP English Muffin
AIP Baking can be a major buzzkill – yeah I said it. Not being able to use eggs or certain flours can certainly present a challenge. Well, I was up for it this time around because I had some amazing summer jams in my possession and couldn’t think straight until I had an English muffin to top it with. This paleo AIP English Muffin takes just 4 minutes to make in the microwave and needs only 7-ingredients. The result is a crispy, chewy muffin – perfect for topping off with a little fresh jam, ghee (AIP reintroduction), or some coconut yogurt (as a cream cheese)!
Wait, are microwaves healthy?
As it turns out, using a microwave isn’t any more harmful than other cooking methods, and foods cooked in a microwave may actually retain more nutrients and contain fewer carcinogens than other common forms of cooking. As long as the microwave oven isn’t damaged, there’s truly no scientific reason to fear or avoid microwaves. (source)
AIP egg replacer in the English Muffins
Since eggs and other traditional Paleo egg replacers like flax meal or chia seeds aren’t AIP-friendly, I tried applesauce! Gelatin eggs seem to be a go-to for AIP baking, but I’m not quite smitten. The reason I made these without “gelatin eggs”, is because…
- I a) don’t have the best luck with them – while I follow the directions, I’m just rarely impressed with the turnout.
- And b) They smell mega funky in the microwave especially… I’ll take my English Muffins funk-less, thank you very much!!
Using coconut milk and applesauce really did the trick, making this a vegan English muffin while we are at it – #allthefrees.
Toppings for your English Muffin
It took me a few tries but I’m very happy with the turnout and have been smearing this blackberry jam (which is only sweetened with apple juice, hooray!) and coconut yogurt all over them for a tasty snack. What a perfect combo!
Here are some more shmear ideas:
- Ghee (AIP reintro)
- Grass-fed Butter (AIP reintro)
- Coconut butter
- Almond butter and honey with cinnamon (AIP reintro)
- Coconut yogurt
- Or use it for a dreamy tuna sandwich!
I’d love to hear what you put on yours below!
More AIP Breakfast Recipes
- AIP Breakfast Waffle Recipe (Eggless, Vegan, Paleo)
- AIP Breakfast Hash (in my AIP Meal Plan Post)
- AIP Citrus Sausage (in my AIP Meal Plan Post)
Nutritional Therapy Practitioner Tip: I always recommend starting savory for breakfast (meaning to have a low-sugar breakfast), for optimal energy levels, more balanced blood sugar, and better digestion. Serving this alongside some great protein, topped with fat would be a lovely complement to your breakfast routine here and there!
AIP PALEO ENGLISH MUFFIN RECIPE
AIP English Muffin (paleo, vegan, gelatin-free)
- Mix all ingredients with a whisk in a small mixing bowl until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a small ramekin, and press down lightly so it’s all evenly filled in.
- Microwave* on high for approx. 4 minutes until the center is cooked.
- Let stand and cool for 2 minutes or so before cutting through the center with a serrated knife. Serve with any topping you’d like! Optionally store in the fridge for a few days as well.