What’s Inside: This dairy-free cheese sauce recipe is a staple in my fridge. Featuring sweet potatoes (and no tree nuts), it’s easy to make and even easier to eat all while remaining AIP- and Paleo-friendly!
Homemade Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce
Sweet potatoes are one of those versatile vegetables that can work with nearly every meal and every cuisine. They can be sweet or savory, light or hearty, and even turned into a dreamy creamy sauce!
This easy sweet potato dairy-free cheese sauce is creamy without any coconut (or any tree nuts, for that matter). This makes it compliant with AIP, Paleo, Whole30, and vegan diets. Use on everything from mac and cheese and chips with dip to my favorite creamy shrimp over zoodles. (Pictured above!)
Looking for more dairy-free cheese sauce recipes? I’ve got you covered! Check out my roundup of dairy-free cheese sauce recipes here!
This vegan cheese sauce recipe which is a variation of this one gets its creaminess and nuttiness from the cooked sweet potatoes. And the nearly cheesy flavor comes from the nutritional yeast.
Additionally, the lemon juice or vinegar helps with that little bite that cheese has and brings something acidic to your recipe.
Lastly, the sea salt and garlic powder offer key cheesy flavors to this dairy-free cheese sauce.
How To Make Vegan Cheese Sauce with Sweet Potatoes
All you have to do to make my Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce recipe is throw everything into a blender and puree until smooth and thick.
Reheat in the microwave in 30-second intervals until warmed through, stirring frequently to ensure it’s smooth. You can also reheat it in a small pot or saucepan on the stovetop over medium-low heat until simmering. Whisk frequently to remove any lumps.
More Dairy-Free Recipes To Try
- 10+ Best Dairy-Free Soup Recipes
- 8+ Caffeine-Free Beverage Recipes
- Paleo Banana Cream Pie Parfaits
- AIP Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- 3 Dairy-Free Cheese Sauce Recipes
Sweet Potato Cheese Sauce (AIP, Dairy-Free, Paleo, Whole30)
- 2 cups cooked and cooled white sweet potato (skin peeled off)
- 1 cup+ water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 juiced lemon or 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender until your sauce forms, add more water as needed to loosen and use in cooking or store for up to 5-days in the fridge.