What’s Inside: Skip the fried wonton wrappers and get right to the good stuff — the super flavorful, veggie-packed egg roll filling! This quick and easy Egg Roll Skillet Recipe delivers on what you love most about the takeout, but it’s Paleo, Whole30, and AIP-friendly.
Homemade Egg Roll Skillet Recipe
When you think of Chinese takeout, I’d bet one of the first images that comes to mind is that of a fresh, crispy, hot egg roll. YUM! It was my favorite growing up. But, when you’re not so down with the questionable vegetable oils and gluten… you need to get scrappy. That’s when it hit me — why not make a deconstructed egg roll in a skillet?
This homemade Egg Roll Skillet recipe brings together everything you love about an egg roll in one convenient pan with no frying or fumbling over slippery, sticky egg roll wrappers in a fraction of the time. Plus, it’s Paleo-. Whole30, and AIP-friendly. This meal takes less than 30 minutes to make from start to finish and is packed with flavors like ginger, garlic, onion, and umami from the coconut aminos (in place of soy).
I love making this as what I like to call “meat hash magic” when I’m meal prepping for the week because it’s super easy to throw in some containers and eat straight up or in different variations. And, like so many Asian-inspired meals, this dish gets better as it sits and the flavors meld together.
I love cooking Asian-inspired dishes — especially Chinese dishes — because they’re typically full of whole, healthy ingredients and TONS of flavor. This dish gets its flavor boost from the ginger, garlic, scallions, coconut aminos, and toasted sesame oil.
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen, or make your own)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 lb. ground pork (can substitute with ground pork and beef mixed, or ground poultry — I love using Grass Roots Coop)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 12 oz. (1 package) coleslaw mix with shredded cabbage and carrots
- 1/2 cup scallions, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce (this is optional but is key in Chinese cooking! I recommend this brand)
- 4-5 Tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil (omit for AIP)
How To Make an Egg Roll Skillet
- Prep the Cauliflower Rice Base: Heat a large sauté pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté cauliflower rice for 3-5 minutes until tender and season to taste with sea salt and pepper. Transfer cooked cauliflower rice to serving plates or bowls. This is the foundation of your deconstructed egg roll in a bowl.
- Cook the Protein: Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan, and add ground meat, ground ginger, and garlic powder, breaking up the meat with seasonings with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until you don’t see any more raw meat (approx. 10 mins).
- Add the Veggies: Add the coleslaw mix (you can do it in batches as it cooks down if you need to), stir, and cover for just a few minutes so the veggies soften and wilt. Then, add in the chopped scallions and season more to taste with any of the seasonings. Drizzle the fish sauce and stir.
- Finishing Touches: Turn the heat off and drizzle coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil over the meat and veggies, mix it well. Serve the meat and veggies over cauliflower rice and optionally garnish with more scallions. Enjoy!
Egg Roll Skillet Serving Variations
- Swap broccoli rice for the cauliflower rice, or mix it in 50-50!
- For added protein and flavor, shrimp would be a delicious addition to this egg roll skillet. Egg rolls are often filled with a mixture of ground chicken, pork, and shrimp, so the flavor combination works! Just sauté them in the same skillet as the other protein and veggies until they’re pink and no longer translucent, then remove them. Add them back right before serving, and toss well to combine.
- Add more veggies! Thinly sliced red, orange, or yellow bell peppers would be delicious in this skillet, as would snap peas, thinly sliced celery, and even sliced water chestnuts for some crunch!
- If you prefer fresh over dried seasonings, swap the dried herbs for freshly minced garlic and ginger! (approx. 2-3 cloves of garlic and 2-3 tbsp of ginger, plus more to taste if desired).
- Add crunch! If you’re eating nuts/seeds, sprinkle some unsalted, roasted sunflower seeds or cashews to this skillet when you add the veggies. I did something similar in my Pineapple Fried Cauliflower Rice recipe.
- Put an egg on it! I often eat this for breakfast with a fried egg, or in a scramble.
- Stuff it inside a cabbage roll like I do in this Cabbage Roll Dumpling Recipe!
Not a fan of pork? No problem! Swap it for ground chicken or ground turkey. You may just want to add a bit more oil since poultry is less fatty than pork.
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store it in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This is the perfect make-ahead dish for meal-prepping lunches and/or dinners for the week! And you can use the variations above to transform the meals like I love doing in my 20-minute meal prep.
- Freeze in a freezer-safe airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 months.
- Reheat in the microwave for 1 minute or so, or in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat until warmed through.
More Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this Egg Roll Skillet, then you’ll love these other nutritious Asian-inspired recipes:
- Gluten-Free Orange Chicken
- Paleo Crispy Sesame Chicken
- Quick Sunflower Seed Pad Thai
- Coconut Curry Soup with Shrimp
- Dim Sum (Dumplings) Paleo Cabbage Rolls
20-minute Egg Roll Skillet (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups cauliflower rice (fresh or frozen)
- Sea salt and pepper to taste (Omit pepper for AIP)
- 1 lb ground pork (or a mix of ground pork and ground beef)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 12 oz. coleslaw mix with shredded cabbage and carrots (1 package)
- 1/2 cup scallions roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp fish sauce (optional, I recommend Red Boat brand)
- 4-5 tbsp coconut aminos
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil (omit for AIP)
- Heat a large sauté pan and add a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute cauliflower rice for 3-5 minutes until tender and season to taste with sea salt and pepper.
- Transfer cooked cauliflower rice to serving plates or bowls.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the same pan, and add ground meat, ground ginger, and garlic powder, breaking up the meat with seasonings with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Cook well until you don't see any more raw meat (approx. 10 mins).
- Add the coleslaw mix (you can do it in batches as it cooks down if you need to), stir around and cover for just a few minutes so the veggies get soft and wilt. Then add in the chopped scallions and season more to taste with any of the seasonings. Add fish sauce and stir.
- Turn the heat off and drizzle coconut aminos and toasted sesame oil over the meat and veggies, mix it well. Serve the meat and veggies over cauliflower rice and optionally garnish with more scallions.
This recipe was made in partnership with Grass Roots Coop – Be sure to check out my Nutrition Box to cook along with me using my favorite Grass Roots products. As always, I only recommend and partner with brands I trust and use myself.