What’s Inside: You’ve heard of cauliflower rice, but what about broccoli rice? This is a vibrant, delicious, plant-based grain alternative that’s a breeze to make any day of the week! Perfect for Paleo, Gluten-free lifestyles.
Can You Make Rice from Broccoli?
Plant-based rice alternatives are all the rage, and cauliflower rice has had its time in the sun. (For good reason, it’s delicious!)
But it’s time for another star riced vegetable to step into the spotlight — broccoli rice!
This is an easy, vibrant, delicious side dish option that is a breeze to make and goes with just about anything, especially my Gluten-Free Orange Chicken.
All you have to do is cut the broccoli florets and stalks into pieces that will fit in your food processor and blend it until it resembles rice. And that’s it! You’re done!
Just like cauliflower rice or plantain rice, broccoli rice takes on the flavors it’s cooked with. If you want to serve it with an Asian-inspired meal, incorporate core sweet and sour flavors like garlic, ginger, coconut aminos, and raw honey. If you want it to be more simple for an American-style meal, season it with salt and pepper. There’s really no wrong way to prepare this dish!
Ingredients for Homemade Broccoli Rice
This might be the easiest recipe in the world because it only requires three ingredients!
- 1 broccoli head with stalk
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and seasonings as desired
How To Make the Best Broccoli Rice
- Cut the florets of one head of broccoli into equal 1-inch pieces. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the stalk and chop it into 1-inch rounds.
- Place into a food processor, and pulse until the broccoli is broken up into tiny rice-sized pieces. (Depending on your size processor, you may do this in batches).
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and sauté the riced broccoli until tender (approx. 3-4 mins.) and serve!
Nutritional Therapy Practitioner Tip: Don’t toss the stalks (or stems)! They’re packed with Vitamin A, calcium, and potassium. While they’re often discarded because they take longer to cook… this recipe is a perfect way to use and enjoy them when processing into “rice” for easier, quicker cooking.
What To Serve with Broccoli Rice
I originally paired this homemade broccoli rice with my gluten-free orange chicken to complete that delicious “fakeout” meal, and it was DELISH! But this grain-free alternative pairs well with any recipe, including:
- Paleo Crispy Sesame Chicken
- Paleo Pork Carnitas Bowl
- Crispy Roasted Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Baby Lamb Chops with Chimichurri
- Pan-seared Cod with Lemon Caper Sauce
How To Store Raw and Cooked Broccoli Rice
- Store cooked or raw broccoli rice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
- Freeze cooked broccoli rice in an airtight, freezer-safe container up to 1-month.
- Reheat leftover broccoli rice in the microwave at 30-second intervals or in a skillet over medium-heat until warmed through.
- We did not test freezing raw broccoli rice, but we suspect it would last up to one month. You may need to blanch before freezing.
More Recipes To Try
If you like this Broccoli Rice, then you’ll love these recipes:
- Sunflower Seed Pad Thai
- Pumpkin & Sage Risotto
- Puerto Rican Picadilo with Plantain Rice
- Easy Meatballs and Grain-Free Pesto Risotto
- Chicken Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Skillet
- 1 broccoli head with stalk
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cut florets into equal 1-inch pieces. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the stalk and chop into 1-inch rounds.
- Place into a food processor and pulse until the broccoli is broken up into tiny rice-sized pieces (depending on your size processor, you may do this in batches).
- Cook by sautéeing in a skillet over medium heat with extra-virgin olive oil and desired seasonings.