LET ME GUESS, YOU'RE BUSY AND TRY #ALLTHETHINGS TO BE HEALTHY...
But it’s not always easy or clear. It can be hard to know what’s the “right” diet or to stay consistent with healthy eating and other lifestyle habits if you’re not sure it’s even working!
And then that BALANCE everyone talks about... how do you get signed up for THAT LIFE while feeling confident?
Well, you’ve come to the right place. I was THERE. It’s how FOOD BY MARS was born and what I'm here to help you with.
Hey there! I'm Alison.
Exhausted, overworked, holding myself up to impossible standards (where my perfectionists at?)... and navigating my declining health conditions by myself. I dug my heels in on cooking nourishing foods. I worked on up-leveling my self-care, self-love, and mindfulness. I got REAL about tuning into my body and what it needed vs. chasing another yo-yo diet that was just taking me farther from where I wanted to be.
I wanted to be on top of my game... in all areas. Health, career, personally with my family and friends... I wanted to glow from the inside out and FEEL LIKE ME again, because, I had burned out so hard. I’d look in the mirror and not know who was staring back.
I turned it around. And I share my methods with you to support you on your journey. Wherever you are.
I cook... a lot. And share tips, delicious recipes , and meal plans to help you slay in the kitchen. Because nourishing yourself with real sustainable food is fundamental. You don’t need to be Martha Stewart, you just need a kitchen and passion for eating delicious food.
Food is Medicine... BUT it’s also emotional. Mindfulness, mindful eating, self-care, and love are all KEY to your success with finding joy in managing your health and staying consistent.
Consistency over Perfection. Don’t be “all or nothing” with your health... you’ll burn out there too. If you’re like “but I have to be to stay on track”, then self-care and mindfulness need some attention STAT. Because finding balance isn’t some nebulous daydream, it’s yours for the taking. Practicing consistency and owning your decisions without the shame spiral is how you keep showing up for YOU.
Stick with me and I’ll show you how.
Want to work with me? Learn more here.
oh but wait! There's more
I'm a Taurus and ISFJ . . . a total type A work hard, play hard gal who's learned the beauty in slowing down!
My only real fear is being attacked by a clown. Also, sharks. Oh and add bears to the list after a recent hiking debacle.
I love to paint! Oils, acrylics, you name it . . . and have many of my paintings on my walls.
Times I push the snooze button each morning
Trips to wholefoods
A healthy outside starts from the inside.
Getting in tune with your own body is the greatest way to heal
my happy places
In my kitchen, behind the camera, on my yoga mat, holding a paint brush, under the sun
i'm here to
Inspire others to take control of their health in their kitchens
TAKE BACK YOUR HEALTH
How I Can Support You
Nutritional Therapy Practitioner, 2018
Nutritional Therapy Association (Affiliated with NANP)
Certified Yoga Instructor, 2019
Three Sisters Yoga
Holistic Health Coach, 2016
Institute for Integrative Nutrition
What do I eat?
Seasonal, nutrient-dense, properly prepared food. Food that makes me feel good inside and out. The labels on my recipes range from Paleo, AIP, Whole 30 to Gluten-free, etc. as that is what I tend to cook mostly. However, through my healing journey with Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Disease, I go through stages of elimination and reintroductions as I’m able to make progress with digestion and my symptoms. I treat food as my medicine and take great joy in preparing that food. So, I will never strictly subscribe to a diet if my body is craving and can handle something outside of that. In general, I believe the diets I create recipes for are helpful to promote healing and are helpful whether for a short period of time or otherwise. Food is also emotional, it brings people together and is tied to memories - the joy of cooking and sharing those experiences is also very important to me!
Bio-individuality is a huge part of my practice and outlook on health and wellness. This is why I say getting in tune with our bodies is the most important thing we can do – you’ll care a whole lot less about rules of a diet if you know what your body needs and wants. I work with my clients to find what this means for them, as I’ve done and continuously do with myself. There are just too many factors to place everyone in a perfect diet box. And if there was a perfect diet, there wouldn’t be so many!
My Food Tips
• When you buy something that’s considered processed, READ ALL LABELS. Make sure it has VERY FEW ingredients, with all of them being recognizable as actual food to you. Keep the artificial ingredients, dyes, excessive gums, and SUGARS out of your pantry and out of your body. There are many amazing new brands that I frequently mention here or on Instagram that makes life convenient without jeopardizing your health.
• NIX THE SUGAR. But when you do want sweets, get your sugar from WHOLE FRUITS, VEGETABLES, and “functional” sweeteners. I consider a “functional sweetener” to be a non-refined sugar like raw honey, maple syrup, monk fruit, dates, etc. – these sweeteners have some health benefits, unlike refined sugars which have none and ONLY take you out of balance. Baking with banana, applesauce, sweet potatoes, squash, dates, pumpkin, etc. is something I commonly do to reduce or eliminate added sugar. Once you greatly reduce your sugar intake, you won’t like as much anyway.
• Every chance you eat is a chance to NOURISH your body. In modern times, food has become entertainment; but never forget that food is your nourishment. Your body requires nutrients from food that it cannot make on its own. If you are not giving your body what it needs, do not be surprised when it doesn’t work like you want it to. This is where “nutrient-dense” comes in. EAT THE RAINBOW by getting plenty of colorful vegetables and fruits in your diet. Choose organic, grass-fed meat and pasture-raised poultry and eggs. Wild-caught fish when possible. Use good, non-hydrogenated/refined oils like ghee, grass-fed butter, tallow/duck fat, extra virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, raw (preferably sprouted) nuts and seeds. And drink plenty of filtered water in between meals.
• Practice BALANCE. If that means 80/20 or 90/10, figure out what works well for you in order to be successful while still having some fun.
• Be present, still, and calm when eating. You are what you digest, not what you eat – so give your body that chance and SLOW DOWN. CHEW. DO NOT GUZZLE WATER AS YOU EAT. CHEW SOME MORE. Rest & Digest.
I hope you’ll read along, try some recipes and tips to apply to your own journey while having fun along the way!!
Thanks for visiting.