What’s Inside: Ah, autumn. Cool weather, changing leaves, and pumpkin spice everything. And the perfect season to enjoy our Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte. Best of all, it’s Paleo, AIP, and Whole30-compliant. Get all of the PSL flavor you love without any of the guilt or bloat!
What’s with All the Hype Over Pumpkin Spice?
Pumpkin season. How do you feel about it? It’s on blast everywhere this time of year. And the illustrious PSL (aka pumpkin spice latte) seems to be thrust into my face (or on my phone screen) wherever I go.
But confession time … I never liked it. (GASP!)
It’s true. I don’t, and I’m not sorry about it. The famous PSL is overly sweet and, honestly, just too much of a good thing all in one cup to the point where it’s bad. But, I do appreciate the positive elements of it, like the aromatic pumpkin spices made up of nutmeg, cardamom, and clove, as well as the coziness of it. There’s no denying the PSL is a lot of people’s go-to drink when Fall rolls around.
This inspired me to create a healthier alternative that wasn’t overloaded with sugar, caffeine, or dairy.
Introducing, my brainchild — the Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte.
What Makes This Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte Perfect for Fall?
With Fall comes a lot of in-you-face advertisements for foods that are just not healthy or compliant with restrictive diets. Most of them are riddled with absurd amounts of sugar or artificial sweeteners, dairy, and additives most of us can’t pronounce.
But at their core are natural flavors we love to indulge on in cold weather, like peppermint and pumpkin. This was a good starting point for my Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte recipe.
What Are the Health Benefits of a Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte?
If you’ve ever seen golden milk or turmeric milk lattes, you probably know that they’re the among the most popular of health food trends.
Turmeric milk is a soothing, calming way to reap those benefits. I just love it! This is what inspired me to marry these two popular drinks — the pumpkin spice latte and turmeric milk — into one healthy tonic. Plus, it’s also a great way to use all the random pumpkin puree cans you might have laying around this season.
Unlike it’s more popular, but unhealthy, counterpart, the Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte boasts boasts lots of health benefits, like:
- Being totally dairy-free and vegan
- Requiring no sweeteners to consume (but feel free to add honey or coconut milk, if you like)
- Turmeric, which is a powerful and natural anti-inflammatory
- Being completely caffeine-free
But There’s No Caffeine in This Pumpkin Spice Latte …
If you’ve ever gotten into a rhythm of hitting up the drive-thru line or curbside pickup for a caffeine boost, it can be a hard habit to break. But trust me, it’s worth powering through. And making your own fast food favorite is easy, healthier, and often cheaper to do at home!
And just think about it for a minute. Are you aware of just how much caffeine affects your body? I wrote an entire blog post about this and how to know if it’s messing with your hormones, which affects everything else in your system.
Basically, caffeine has direct ties to your sleep and stress. But it’s a drug that has become so commonplace in society and in our daily lives that we don’t often notice it’s negative effects on us. Think about it, when you consume caffeine, do you ever feel
- more anxious or stressed
- too awake
- a headache coming on
- or experience an upset stomach?
If you answered yes to any of those, you should consider reducing or eliminating caffeine from your diet for a short period of time and keep notes. This will let you see if you experience improvements in any of these areas.
Read my full post to learn more.
Skip the Drive-Thru and Make Your Own PSL at Home
Follow my five simple steps in the recipe below to make your own pumpkin spice turmeric latte at home with ingredients you probably have on-hand.
If you’re looking for a shortcut version of this delectable drink, try Organifi Pumpkin Spice GOLD mix (this takes you to my affiliate link). And make sure to apply the promo code FOODBYMARS for 15% off at checkout.
However you make it, this delicious, warming, and sedating drink pairs perfectly with your favorite cable-knit sweater, a good book, and a pumpkin spiced treat like my pumpkin and hemp oatmeal cookies. Check out my caffeine-fee, dairy-free, vegan pumpkin spice turmeric latte recipe below, and ENJOY!
The Very Best Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte Recipe
Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte (Caffeine-free, Vegan, Dairy-free)
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger or ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/8 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch of black pepper to activate tumeric
- optional: sweeteners like honey or coconut water
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk for topping
- In a small saucepan, add all ingredients (except coconut milk) and whisk over low heat.
- Mix it for approx. 5 minutes or so until well heated and somewhat combined (the puree should be dissolved, the spices will probably still be allover the place).
- Add mixture to a blender and blend on high until you have a thicker orange milk with spices combined well.
- Pour into your mug(s) and separately, steam coconut milk in a frothier or you can rinse your blender and use that on high until you have a nice foam.
- Pour coconut milk on top of your pumpkin spice turmeric milk and add a little more cinnamon over top and serve!
More Pumpkin Recipes to Try
If you liked our Pumpkin Spice Turmeric Latte, then you’ll love these other pumpkin recipes that are perfect for fall:
- Flourless Pumpkin Muffins (Paleo, Refined Sugar-free)
- Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-free, Grain-free, Dairy-free)
- Pumpkin & Hemp Oatmeal Cookies (Vegan & Gluten-free)