Getting ready for Halloween? I am! And of course that entails whipping up something equally sweet and healthy. Baking in general can sometimes be a little intimidating for me, even with how much I do find myself baking… I love it, but on an off day, it can bring me to cursing out my oven. It’s so precise, and coming up with baked recipes takes time, patience, trial and error… and probably a sense of humor. Luckily, I tend to have all these things… so I tried my hand at cookies. Which by the way, are the easiest thing to bake on the fly. The chances of messing up are less likely, at least for me. So I’m pretty stoked that these cookies I’ve dreamt up came out perfectly on the first try! They are so chewy from the pumpkin puree, but nice and thick from the oats and hemp seeds. There is no refined sugar, just maple syrup – my FAVE.
So you can indulge a little in a sweet tooth for Halloween without getting caught up in the sugar frenzy around you.
makes 12 cookies
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- Pre-heat oven to 350f degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix pumpkin puree, hemp seeds, maple syrup and vanilla extract until smooth with a hand or stand mixer.
- Separately, combine the baking powder, cinnamon and oat flour in a bowl and whisk.
- Start slowly adding in dry mix to the wet. Once you have a batter going, you can add in the oats. Mix until you have everything well-combined.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the batter and drop onto parchment paper and bake 350f degrees for 10 minutes. Dry cookies on a rack and eat!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!