What’s Inside: Being a New Yorker, I love a good bagel, so baking one I can eat without the gluten, grains or even the eggs was a must. These Paleo Everything Bagels are delicious alternative and feature the classic crisp exterior with a soft interior that bagel-lovers adore.
How to Make Homemade Paleo Everything Bagels
Sometimes you just need a bagel. And I recently had a massive craving that resulted in this recipe for homemade Paleo everything bagels that are both egg-free and vegan. My favorites bagels flavors are everything and cinnamon raisin, and I had an everything spice blend that was waiting to be used. So, I dabbled with this flavor first. If you’ve never tried making your own hand-rolled, boiled bagels before, let me tell you that it is FUN. I enjoyed them even more after putting some work into them.
After searching the interwebs to fashion my own recipe for Paleo everything bagels, I found quite a few recipes that required eggs. While I love eggs, it turns out that I’m sensitive to them. So, I’ll have indulge in them once a week or so if I want them, and it’s fine. But I’m trying to find ways to substitute or leave them out of certain recipes. Luckily, there are substitutes you can try. As you’ll see in my recipe below, a few common Paleo and/or vegan ingredients give these everything bagels the lift and richness it would otherwise achieve from eggs.
Best Ways to Enjoy Paleo Everything Bagels
As for toppings, I love using these bagels as a vehicle for avocado toast, almond cream cheese (like my fave, Kite Hill), or ghee. Or spread your favorite schmear on them, or use them as bread to step up your sandwich game. Being a New Yorker, I grew up using bagels for everything and anything. The sky’s the limit!
Speaking of NYC, I’ve had some decent gluten-free bagels, but they can sometimes turn out dry and just not even worth the trouble. So, I was hell-bent on making my own that upheld the crispy exterior and pillowy soft interior everyone loves about bagels. I enjoyed half the batch with my hubby (who said these were “really good,” by the way), and threw the other half in the fridge for some #brekkie options during the week.
Satisfy Your Everything Bagel Craving While Staying on Track
These Paleo Everything Bagels are delicious and feature the classic crisp exterior and soft interior bagel lovers everywhere adore. And they kept really well! You could also make more and just freeze them for later since you’re going through the trouble. However you decide to consume them, enjoy!
Paleo Everything Bagels (Egg-free, Vegan)
- 2+ quarts water
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour/starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 Tbsp olive oil to brush on top for spices, or if you are using eggs, you can do yolk egg-wash for more color
Everything Spice Blend Topping:
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp dried garlic flakes
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Fill a large pot half full of water, cover and bring to a boil. Once the water has come to a boil, reduce heat slightly to keep water at a gentle boil.
- Combine the almond flour, arrowroot flour, baking powder, and sea salt in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, add 1/3 cup warm water, vinegar, and syrup and lightly mix. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix with a wooden spoon until you have a dough.
- Lay out a piece of parchment paper on your counter. Sprinkle generously with more arrowroot flour, and rub your hands with some, too. Pick up the dough ball and place onto parchment paper. Divide dough into 3-4 equal portions.
- For each piece, roll with your hands (into a cylinder shape) approximately 7 inches long. Make it as even as you can, patching up any cracks with your fingers. If the dough is too wet, simply keep dusting with arrowroot. Once you’ve rolled it, make the ends meet in a circle so there’s a hole in the middle and do some surgery to patch it up with your fingers. Repeat this until all dough has turned into your bagels.
- Carefully drop 1-2 bagels in the boiling water for 1 minute (or until they float). Remove with slotted spoon and place them on the lined baking sheet. Repeat until all bagels have been boiled. Bake the boiled bagels for 10 minutes.
- While bagels are cooking, combine the Everything Spice Blend ingredients in a small bowl.
- Remove bagels from oven, brush with olive oil, and top each bagel with approx. 1 tsp of Everything Spice Blend. Return bagels to the oven and cook an additional 15-20 minutes until crisp and lightly golden (if using egg-wash, it will be darker, with olive oil it’s lighter)
- Let bagels rest on a cookie rack for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice, top, and enjoy!
Interested in trying more healthy breakfasts to see what makes you feel the best in the morning? Check out my favorite savory breakfasts here and learn why balancing blood sugar is so important.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes To Try
If you’re a fan of my Paleo Everything Bagels, then you’re sure to love these breakfast recipes:
- AIP Breakfast Waffle Recipe (Eggless, Vegan, Paleo)
- Perfect Paleo Pancakes
- Paleo Coffee Cake (AIP, Vegan)