What’s Inside: Grain-free Porridge (hot cereal) recipe that takes just a few minutes to make or prep overnight for a high protein, filling breakfast. Its Paleo, Whole30, and Vegan. Make it your own with your favorite toppings and spices! I’ve also got 7 Egg-free Breakfast Recipe Printables for you here!
Easy Grain-free Porridge (Paleo, Gluten-free, Whole30, Vegan)
Sometimes weekday breakfasts can be a struggle… if it’s not quick and easy, and you’re in a rush, the risk is serious. Risk of what? Let’s see here…
- Skipping breakfast completely, or not eating enough to keep you full
- Chugging too much caffeine to satiate yourself
- Grabbing a processed, sugar-filled concoction only to crash later on
- Eating the same microwaveable oatmeal over and over again
- Slapping together a random non-balanced meal you scrapped together from your office cupboard!
STOP. STOP THE MADNESS!!
It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day for so many reasons. You’re kick-starting your metabolism and fueling yourself up to begin your day. Who wants to start off with a half-assed meal, with their stomach grumbling by 10:30 am in a meeting where you swear everyone can hear your bodily functions, or even bloated and tired because you have no idea what you even just ate and what it did to you?
Literally no one.
My favorite part about this breakfast
I personally thrive on a high-protein breakfast with healthy fats and a little bit of fruit to give me great energy, it fills me up till lunch and keeps me going. I was on a mission to figure out how I can create this in a grain-free porridge form that was convenient AND delicious!
BINGO. This is it.
I was inspired after trying this recipe from Wicked Good Kitchen and made it my own. Switch it up with different toppings… maybe berries one day and kiwi the next. How about a swirl of tahini with cinnamon and cardamom? So many options to keep it fresh!
If overnight porridge isn’t your thing, you can easily put this together the same day as well with a little heat. Either add it to a small saucepan or zap it in the microwave. It’s quick anyway you slice it. The flaxseed meal, chia seeds and almond meal do a great job working together to thicken this up. The shredded coconut gives it some more texture and the hemp seeds expand for an even creamier porridge. I don’t add sweetener to the base since you can add it to your liking on top, my preference is with fresh fruit. It’ll come out THICK, add a little drop of your favorite milk or more water to get it to your perfect consistency.
For me, I find that this type of breakfast is what suits me best for a busy day. Sometimes I’ll switch it up with boiled eggs and avocado (more healthy fat and protein), a delicious hash (great for egg-free folks), or some coconut yogurt with cinnamon and granola, with a little low-sugar fruit like berries or something! No matter what, I like to keep it low in sugar and high in flavor.
What about you?
Have you figured out what food combo gets you going in the morning and keeps you satisfied and energetic? Try taking note of how certain breakfasts make you feel – it’s a big deal for your energy and blood sugar. I recommend paying attention to how you feel right after eating, and then a couple of hours afterward. Check to see if you’re still hungry, how your energy and mood are, and of course, digestion. This is helpful to figure out what works for your body on certain days. It literally takes 5 minutes to reflect on that and jot any notes down. If you haven’t tried a breakfast experiment, I highly recommend it to know what breakfasts best nourish you in different situations (seasonally, the type of day: workday/weekend, or your health state).
I would love to hear how this Grain-free Porridge does for you! And if you’re doing a Whole30 and sick of eggs 😉 – put this Whole30 breakfast in your rotation.
Want more grain alternatives like this oatmeal swap? Check out this post!
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp coconut oil or ghee optional
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/4 tsp cardamom optional
- berries optional
- tahini optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large mason jar or bowl, mix it up well and store in a container with a lid.
- Refrigerate overnight and mix up in the morning, add milk or more water to loosen up. Optionally microwave for 30 seconds if you'd like to eat it warm or just service cold and add desired toppings such as: fruit, honey and more cinnamon!
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over low-medium heat while stirring. After a few minutes, the porridge will thicken.
- Pour the porridge out after you like the texture and serve with desired toppings.
Interested in trying more healthy breakfasts to see what makes you feel the best in the morning? Get my favorite savory breakfasts here with more information on balancing blood sugar and why it’s so important!