What’s Inside: Grain-free Porridge (aka hot cereal) takes just a few minutes to make or prep overnight for a high protein, filling breakfast. Its Paleo, Whole30, and Vegan. Make it your own with your favorite toppings and spices!
Why You Should Never Skip Breakfast
Sometimes, weekday breakfasts can be a struggle. If it’s not quick and easy, and you’re in a rush, the risk of skipping the first meal of the day is high. But what exactly are we risking?
- Skipping breakfast completely, or not eating enough to keep you full
- Chugging too much caffeine to satiate yourself
- Grabbing a processed, sugar-filled concoction only to crash later on
- Eating the same microwaveable oatmeal over and over again (boring!)
- Slapping together a random non-balanced meal you scrapped together from your office cupboard
- Not kickstarting your metabolism with a healthy start to the day
Plus, who wants to start off with a half-assed meal, with their stomach grumbling by 10:30 am in a meeting where you swear everyone can hear your bodily functions, or even bloated and tired because you have no idea what you even just ate and what it did to you?
Literally no one.
STOP THE MADNESS! And make this easy grain-free porridge instead.
My Favorite Part about This Grain-Free Porridge
I personally thrive on a high-protein breakfast with healthy fats and a little bit of fruit to give me great energy. It fills me up till lunch and keeps me going throughout the day. So, naturally, I sent myself on a mission to figure out how I can create this perfect breakfast in a grain-free porridge form that was convenient AND delicious.
BINGO! This is it.
I was inspired after trying this recipe from Wicked Good Kitchen and made it my own by switching it up with different toppings. Maybe berries one day and kiwi the next. How about a swirl of tahini with cinnamon and cardamom? So many options to keep it fresh!
How To Prep Grain-Free Porridge
If overnight porridge isn’t your thing, you can easily put this together the same day as well with a little heat. Either add it to a small saucepan or zap it in the microwave. It’ll come out THICK, so add a little drop of your favorite milk or more water to get it to your perfect consistency.
The flaxseed meal, chia seeds, and almond meal work well together to thicken this up. And the shredded coconut gives it some more texture and the hemp seeds expand for an even creamier porridge.
I don’t add any sweetener to the base since you can add it to your liking on top. My preference is to keep it clean with fresh fruit for that sweetness. You could easily add honey, stevia, or light brown sugar, if that’s your preference.
I find that this type of breakfast is what suits me best for a busy day. Sometimes I’ll switch it up with boiled eggs and avocado (more healthy fat and protein), a delicious hash (great for egg-free folks), or some coconut yogurt with cinnamon and granola, with a little low-sugar fruit like berries. No matter what, I like to keep it low in sugar and high in flavor.
What’s Your Favorite Go-To Breakfast?
Have you figured out what food combo gets you going in the morning and keeps you satisfied and energetic? Try taking note of how certain breakfasts make you feel. It’s a big deal for your energy and blood sugar.
I recommend drinking a full glass of water before eating and paying attention to how you feel right after your meal, as well as a couple of hours afterward.
- Are you still hungry after eating a meal?
- How are your energy levels?
- How’s your mood?
- How well (or poorly) is your body digesting this meal?
This is helpful to figure out what works for your body on certain days. It literally takes 5 minutes to reflect on that and jot any notes down.
If you haven’t tried a breakfast experiment, I highly recommend it to know what breakfasts best nourish you in different situations (seasonally, the type of day (workday/weekend) and time of day, and your health state).
I would love to hear how this Grain-free Porridge does for you! And if you’re doing a Whole30 and are getting sick of eggs, put this Whole30 breakfast in your rotation. I’ve also got 7 Egg-free Breakfast Recipe Printables for you here!
Want more grain alternatives like this oatmeal swap? Check out this post!
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp coconut oil or ghee optional
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract optional
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon optional
- 1/4 tsp cardamom optional
- berries optional
- tahini optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large mason jar or bowl, mix it up well and store in a container with a lid.
- Refrigerate overnight and mix up in the morning, add milk or more water to loosen up. Optionally microwave for 30 seconds if you'd like to eat it warm or just service cold and add desired toppings such as: fruit, honey and more cinnamon!
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over low-medium heat while stirring. After a few minutes, the porridge will thicken.
- Pour the porridge out after you like the texture and serve with desired toppings.
More Breakfast Recipes To Try
If you like this easy grain-free porridge, then you’ll love these breakfast recipes:
Interested in trying more healthy breakfasts to see what makes you feel the best in the morning? Get my favorite savory breakfasts here with more information on balancing blood sugar and why it’s so important!