Granola… one of these seemingly healthy foods we lavishly add on top of yogurt, oatmeal or eat like cereal, or maybe just eat alone as a snack! I love granola. The taste, texture, CRUNCH, ways to use it, you name it. BUT often times store bought versions have TONS of sugar. No shock there, but seriously, turn over the package and read it before you buy. Your jaw might drop.
I always mention that I’d rather control my sugars by adding it myself, and if it’s something I’m pairing with fresh sweet fruit anyway… why do I even need sugar at all? Seriously though! And if it’s absolutely needed, I can pour a little raw honey or something on my own. But I don’t make it with any sweetener at all. INSTEAD what I love to use is: VANILLA & CINNAMON. Those two together make everything better. Coconut oil too. #LifeHacks
I pair this with any fruit I have on hand like blueberries, banana, strawberries and some almond milk or on top of coconut yogurt.
I tested eating this on a Monday morning, and I don’t want to sound cocky or anything, but it made my day 1000% percent better. I’m just reporting the stats is all. HEHE.
Give this a try and toss the sugary packaged granola or Cocoa Krispies (seriously, those were my favorite as a kid!!) Excess sugar and excess carbs in the morning? NO, BYEEEEEE.
It’s too easy not to make yourself and you’ll feel 100-times better scarfing it down 😉
P.S. I recently read on Food52 that adding egg whites to your granola makes it clumpier!! If you’re not vegan, give it a whirl – it really does work.
Grain-free Granola (Paleo, Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup raw almonds roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup pepitas pumpkin seeds
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds
- 3 Tbsp raw cacao powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- pinch sea salt
- *optional: 1 egg white to make granola extra clumpy
- Pre-heat oven to 250f degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a large mixing bowl, add: coconut flakes, chopped almonds, pepitas and flax seeds.
- Separately, melt coconut oil and add cinnamon and vanilla. Stir around and pour over granola in the large bowl with a spatula or large wooden spoon.
- Add cacao powder over top and mix again until granola is well-coated with the cacao.
- *optional - for clumpier granola, add one egg white and stir*
- Spread granola out on the baking sheet in a flat single layer. If you can keep it condensed in the center of the pan touching, it will also help clusters form.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then sprinkle cacao nibs and a pinch of sea salt over top (so the nibs don't burn by baking too long).
- Bake for another 10-15 minutes until everything is nice and toasted and dry.
- Allow the granola to cool at room temp. for 30mins to 1hr or so, then add to a mason jar with a lid to store in the cupboard! Add to: yogurt, porridge, milk and combine with some fresh fruit!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!