What’s Inside: Gravy just makes everything better, especially this herbed mushroom gravy because it is vegetarian, Paleo, and bursting with flavor. It’s the perfect pairing for any holiday meal!
Gravy Can Be Homemade AND Delicious!
Who misses gravy out of an envelope? Anyone? Good! Me neither. Once I began cooking for myself, I knew I had to develop a recipe that accomplished that salty, meaty, savory flavor without the meat, gluten, or sugar. And thus this herbed mushroom gravy recipe was born!
How To Make Herbed Mushroom Gravy
This vegetarian gravy is super easy to make from scratch, and you can really make it your own by throwing in your favorite herbs and veggies. And believe me. The smell that fills the kitchen is well worth the extra effort. Plus, you can make it ahead of time and keep frozen or in your fridge until it’s time to thaw, heat, and serve.
You can find my recipe for herbed mushroom gravy below! And make sure to check out my roundup of healthy Thanksgiving basics to ensure you stay on track this holiday season and impress your guests with a delicious, clean, homemade meal.
Happy holidays, and enjoy!
Herbed Mushroom Gravy
- 1 Tbsp ghee butter, or olive oil for AIP
- 1 small yellow onion or 2 shallots
- 10 oz crimini mushrooms (Baby Bellas)
- 2 Tbsp arrowroot starch
- 2 cups vegetable broth (can sub any broth you like)
- 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary (added to taste)
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme (added to taste)
- pinch of salt & pepper to taste (omit pepper for AIP)
- Clean the mushrooms by taking a damp paper towel and wiping any dirt off the mushrooms carefully. Slice mushrooms thinly and set aside.
- Chop onion/shallots into small and thin pieces and set aside. Also roughly chop the herbs after stripping them off stems.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add ghee/butter/oil to the pan and melt, swirling the oil around until it’s coated the bottom of the pan. Add the chopped onions and stir with a wooden spoon for 2-3 minutes until translucent (do not burn). Next add the sliced mushrooms and continue to sauté until they are soft for approx. 5 minutes or so. Add a pinch of sea salt. Moisture should be releasing, continue to stir until it evaporates.
- Turn the heat to low and sprinkle the starch over top, continue to mix until a paste starts to form after a few minutes and turns golden.
- Slowly whisk in the broth, ensuring the starch is thickening it up into gravy and any clumps are dissolved.
- Add in the fresh herbs and season again with salt and pepper. Bring the gravy to a simmer, it will continue to thicken after 7-8 minutes. Continue to whisk until you are happy with the texture. It will continue to thicken even as it cools, so don’t let it get too thick before removing from the heat!
- Pour into a gravy boat or bowl and use to top your mashed veggies or meat.
COMPLETE YOUR HEALTHY THANKSGIVING MEAL WITH THESE DISHES
If you like this healthy homemade herbed mushroom gravy, make sure to save these healthy Thanksgiving recipes when planning to host your own holiday feast:
- Perfect Roasted Turkey (Paleo)
- Simple Cranberry Sauce (Refined Sugar-Free)
- Ghee-Roasted Brussel Sprouts (Paleo, Whole30)
- Cauliflower Mash (Pureé)