What’s Inside: This Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup is packed with deep flavor from the baking process, made silky smooth with coconut cream, and topped with fresh pesto and crispy bacon. When you need comfort food, this fits the bill!
Homemade Cauliflower Soup
I’m in full soup mode over here for #JanuaryWhole30! Using my bone broths, veggies, and blender makes me a happy woman. So it should come as no surprise that this blended cauliflower bisque is speaking my love language!
This creamy roasted cauliflower soup has a deep, nutty flavor thanks to the baking process with a creamy consistency and all the healing powers of bone broth. This is the break we all need right now after the onslaught of holiday cookies and parties!
As a bonus, I’m throwing in some collagen powder (can’t stop, won’t stop!) and topping it off with a dollop of pesto and crispy bacon bits. These flavors come together like a winter miracle snow globe in your mouth. Yes, I’m that confident you will love this!
The beauty of this Roasted Cauliflower Soup is how simple it is to prepare, starting with just 9 ingredients:
- One medium head of cauliflower
- Melted coconut oil
- Sugar- and nitrate-free bacon
- One yellow onion
- Bone broth (I prefer homemade, but store-bought it fine.)
- Canned coconut cream
- Collagen peptide powder (I like Vital Proteins, but you can use whatever’s available.)
- Sea Salt
- Dairy-free pesto
Will I Taste the Coconut Milk in This Soup?
While I do use a bit of coconut cream in this, you will not taste it in the soup. I commonly get asked about that, but in small doses and when mixed with other ingredients, it’s really just used for the texture instead of dairy-based cream.
How To Make Cauliflower Soup
- Roast the Cauliflower: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees, and cut the head of cauliflower into small florets. Toss them in melted coconut oil, and spread evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing half-way in between.
- Cook the Bacon: In a large bottom-heavy pan or Dutch oven, cook the slices of bacon over medium-heat until crispy and all the fat has been rendered. Set aside on a paper towel-lined plate to cool before crumbling.
- Sauté the Veggies: Don’t toss that bacon fat! Use it to cook the onions. Then, once those are translucent, add the roasted cauliflower, and stir to coat. Add bone broth over top and turn the heat high to bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is very soft.
- Blend It Up: Once the soup is cooked, turn off the heat and transfer to a high-speed blender. Add coconut cream, collagen, and another pinch of sea salt to taste. Blend on high for 30 seconds or so until everything is creamy and well combined.
- Serve: Ladle into bowls, serve, garnish with bacon and pesto, and enjoy!
In addition to the dairy-free pesto and crumbled bacon, you could also garnish each bowl of this Roasted Cauliflower Soup with some toasted or raw seeds like pepitas, sesame seeds, or sunflower seeds. Roasted chickpeas would also be divine!
Storage, Freezing, and Reheating Instructions
- Store leftover butternut squash soup in an airtight container in your fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freeze cooled coup in a freezer-safe, airtight container or plastic bag for up to 3 months. Perfect for meal prep!
- Reheat thawed and chilled soup in a saucepan over medium-low heat until simmering. Add more water or broth if too thick.
More Soup Recipes To Try
If you enjoyed this Roasted Cauliflower Soup, then you’ve got to try my other favorite soup recipes:
- Creamy Mushroom Soup with Bacon
- Sesame Kabocha Squash Soup
- Kale Apple Salad
- Chicken Florentine Soup
- Creamy Butternut Squash, Pear, and Ginger Soup
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Pesto & Bacon
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted
- 4 slices bacon (nitrate-free, sugar-free)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups bone broth (homemade or bought)
- 3 Tbsp coconut cream (canned)
- 6 scoops collagen peptides powder (I use Vital Proteins)
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free pesto (recipe below)
optional topping (not for AIP)
- Pre-heat oven to 400f degrees. Cut the head of cauliflower into small florets, toss in coconut oil, and spread evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Roast for 30 minutes, tossing half-way in between. Remove and set aside and turn the oven off.
- On the stovetop, in a bottom-heavy pan or dutch oven, add the bacon slices. Cook over medium heat until fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Set bacon aside on a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the bacon grease, add chopped onion and sprinkle with sea salt. Stir with a wooden spoon for 3-5 minutes until translucent.
- Next, add the roasted cauliflower florets and stir around to get coated in the grease and onions. Add bone broth over top and turn the heat high to bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Let soup simmer for 15 minutes or so. The cauliflower should be very soft.
- Once done, turn the heat off. Transfer to a high-speed blender and add coconut cream, collagen, and another pinch of sea salt to taste. Blend on high for 30 seconds or so until everything is creamy and well combined.
- Serve into bowls, top each bowl with a drizzle of pesto (approx. 1/2 Tbsp or more per bowl). Each of the 4 bowls gets crushed bacon over top! For non-AIP version, add pepitas or any other seeds you like. Serve hot, store leftovers in a mason jar in the fridge.