OH Yes… apple season is in full swing and I’m loving it. I’m also loving my apple slicer which is such a time saver (and a finger saver too). I especially love adding fruit in salad any chance I get to sweeten it up naturally, to take it a step further, I’ll apparently pour maple syrup on anything these days as well and so we wind up with this salad! Roasting walnuts in maple syrup until it caramelizes is the best, you guys! I know it’s getting chillier out… and salads might not be as popular but there is always a side of soup possibility here… and furthermore I always love a good bowl of raw greens. Don’t forget to massage your kale with some olive oil for an even better taste, texture and free manicure.
Oh and, don’t forget to sprinkle some hemp seeds on top… <33333 hemp seeds!
What’s your go-to topping for salads? I love hearing new ideas!
Kale, Apple & Maple Pecan Salad//serves 2/vegan/gluten-free
- 6 stems curly kale, ripped (approx. 3 cups)
- 1 tsp olive oil (plus more for dressing)
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 3 tsp maple syrup, divided
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- handful of hemp seeds for topping
- Spread walnuts over a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper. Pour 2 tsp maple syrup over walnuts and season with a little salt and pepper, roast for 10 minutes or so on 375f degrees until you see syrup is caramelizing (don’t burn! watch those babies!). Set nuts aside when done.
- Rip up your kale by hand, rinse and dry off with paper towels (no need to be overly delicate, kale is rough and can take a beating unlike lettuce that will bruise).
- Pour 1 tsp of olive oil over top of the kale in a bowl and massage for 2-3 minutes by hand, making sure all leaves are coated and your hands are super silky 🙂 (dry them off after).
- Prepare dressing with lemon juice, 1 tsp of maple syrup and pour over prepared apple slices in a bowl (keeps apples from turning brown).
- Slice red onion as thin as you can comfortably get it and add to your bowl of kale, then throw the dressed apples into the salad bowl too. Mix everything up with your salad tongs or hands.
- Next, add the walnuts over top, anymore salt/pepper/olive oil you feel it might need and if you have some hemp seeds laying around – sprinkle those to complete the dish! If not, make sure you buy some because you’re fresh out. ENJOY!
Hope you enjoy!
Would love to have your feedback below and remember to follow me on
Instagram, Bloglovin’, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest and greatest.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!
Trying to get back to eating healthy again (+ for good)?
Check out the Nourishing You Membership and get weekly done-for-you Paleo/AIP Meal Prep Plans with Grocery Lists delivered to you + Nutrition coaching and community to make this lifestyle easy