Well guys… this week it’s officially FALL! So I’m counting this recipe as the first one to kick things off. I think I’m ready for the light jackets and booties weather afterall. Mostly, I’m ready for all the lovely fall fruits and vegetables coming into season. Cauliflower and Red Peppers are everywhere right now, so I was inspired to make this delicious, mega healthy dish smothered in saffron and turmeric and naturally sweetened with either honey or maple syrup (you pick!). Did you know cauliflower and red peppers are both great for kidney health? They’re low in potassium but high in vitamins C and K as well as folate and fiber, and turmeric is very well known as an inflammatory. Serve this as a side or on a table with tapas… between the saffron and roasted red peppers, the Spanish flavor comes through so nicely. Sigh… it brings me back…. OK. Snap out of it. Time for the recipe!
Sweet Saffron Roasted Cauliflower and Peppers//serves 4-8/gluten-free/vegan
- 1 head Cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1-2 pinches saffron threads
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450f degrees and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop cauliflower and red peppers and set aside.
- Make the sauce by combining: turmeric, saffron, water, garlic, syrup/honey and oil in a sauce pan and heat over low for approx. 3-4 minutes. Stir until you can smell turmeric, garlic and saffron and taste. Add anymore ingredients you think it needs.
- To a large ziploc bag or bowl, add in the sliced veggies and pour the sauce over top. Shake until veggies are coated and spread out on the parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Roast in the oven for approx. 30-35 minutes until golden brown, tossing over once halfway through. Serve as a side or as tapas!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!