I came across some beautiful red (but it’s purple, though.) cabbage, it’s just coming into season now in September and theres nothing I love more than topping off sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and more with some crunchy red cabbage slaw! Also, carrots – I found colorful carrots at the Green Market, and while orange and purple are pretty enough… adding some yellow and white carrots in there made an even prettier bowl :), also a more interesting taste… slightly parsnip-y if you will. This is super simple, use your favorite mustard and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days, mix it in your salads, use it as a side and throw it on top of everything else you eat. It’ll be gone before you know it!
- 3 large carrots, grated (yields approx. 3 cups)
- 3 cups of shredded red cabbage (or approx. 1 quarter head of cabbage)
- 2 tsp mustard (I used this Dijon Mustard, because I’m fancy)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup (unless using a sweet mustard already)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp celery powder (or sub in onion powder)
- 1+ tbsp water
- salt, pepper to taste
- Shred cabbage with a chef’s knife and grate carrots (or for a quicker turnaround on those carrots, pulse them in a food processor and save yourself the bloody knuckles!). Place everything in a large mixing bowl.
- To a small mason jar or a jar with a lid you can shake with, add mustard, tahini, sweetener, vinegar, celery powder, salt and pepper – shake it all up. Then add 1+ tbsp of water to loosen it up, taste it and adjust any seasonings or add more water if too thick. Mix it up again.
- Add dressing to the slaw and toss with wooden spoons until everything is coated. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Store in the fridge if not eating right away.
Oh, and here is a sneak peak of the next recipe…
Hope you enjoy!
Would love to have your feedback below and remember to follow me on
Instagram, Bloglovin’, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest and greatest.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!