Apparently I did not get enough chocolate this holiday season since here I am posting a hot chocolate recipe. Personally, I’m thinking you can never have enough chocolate… but I’m probably testing that boundary as we speak. As a kid, I used to be pretty happy with the packets of hot cocoa but after confirming I’m lactose intolerant… that’s just a no-no for more than one reason. Most powdered drinks of any kind (lattes too!) have milk powder. So it’s much safer to use your own non-dairy milk and some dairy-free dark chocolate! It’s also much richer and almost fudge-like.
To take it a step further, this hot chocolate has cinnamon! It definitely makes for a super sassy-adult hot chocolate. No powder, extra sugar and marshmallows here. Let’s get classy about it and add a cinnamon stick instead. Plus, this is so easy to throw together and results in a deep, delicious flavor. I’m cozying up with a cup now in front of my Christmas Tree and it’s pretty great, guys!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I like Almond)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp non-dairy dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add milk and cinnamon stick to a small saucepan, heat on low for approx. 10 minutes to simmer stirring the cinnamon stick around a few times.
- Right before the milk is finished, add the chocolate to a microwave safe mug and melt chocolate in the microwave for approx. 1 minute at the bottom of the cup.
- Stir in the vanilla to the milk and turn off heat.
- Add the milk and cinnamon stick to the mug, stirring with a spoon until chocolate is fully mixed in. Serve!