Well, my immune system has been quite challenged as of late with spring allergies about! I’ve literally been blowing my nose for two weeks strait… (did I share too much?) So needless to say, I’ve been making a lot of soup lately. It’s been helping for sure. And this one is pretty easy to throw together and FAST.
I was excited to get my hands on some lemongrass and thought it might do wonders in a pea soup… well, I was so right. The allergies did not take my imagination… though it did make me look like Rudolph for a good week. Anyhoo! This soup is thick, creamy with a little kick (or more if you like!). And that color is amazing! This is a simple standby recipe you can easily add into your spring menu.
serves 4-6 // vegan & gluten-free
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 large clove of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups frozen or fresh peas
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp yellow curry
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, minced (if you’re new to lemongrass, check this out)
- 1/2 can coconut milk (full fat is creamier!)
- Heat olive oil in a pot over medium heat and add chopped onions, saute until soft for 5 minutes or so. Next add the chopped garlic, stirring for a couple of minutes (don’t let it burn).
- Add peas, minced or finely chopped lemongrass, and water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, you can lower the heat to low, add the curry while it simmers for 10-15 minutes, covered.
- Turn the heat off and add the coconut milk, with either an emulsion blender or pouring it into a blender, blend the soup until smooth. If it’s too thick, you can just add water to thin it out or if you want it thicker… add more coconut milk! Serve.