Apparently I did not get enough chocolate this holiday season since here I am posting a hot chocolate recipe. Personally, I’m thinking you can never have enough chocolate… but I’m probably testing that boundary as we speak. As a kid, I used to be pretty happy with the packets of hot cocoa but after confirming I’m lactose intolerant… that’s just a no-no for more than one reason. Most powdered drinks of any kind (lattes too!) have milk powder. So it’s much safer to use your own non-dairy milk and some dairy-free dark chocolate! It’s also much richer and almost fudge-like.
To take it a step further, this hot chocolate has cinnamon! It definitely makes for a super sassy-adult hot chocolate. No powder, extra sugar and marshmallows here. Let’s get classy about it and add a cinnamon stick instead. Plus, this is so easy to throw together and results in a deep, delicious flavor. I’m cozying up with a cup now in front of my Christmas Tree and it’s pretty great, guys!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I like Almond)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp non-dairy dark chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Add milk and cinnamon stick to a small saucepan, heat on low for approx. 10 minutes to simmer stirring the cinnamon stick around a few times.
- Right before the milk is finished, add the chocolate to a microwave safe mug and melt chocolate in the microwave for approx. 1 minute at the bottom of the cup.
- Stir in the vanilla to the milk and turn off heat.
- Add the milk and cinnamon stick to the mug, stirring with a spoon until chocolate is fully mixed in. Serve!
Hope you enjoy!
Would love to have your feedback below and remember to follow me on
Instagram, Bloglovin’, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest and greatest.