Welp. Not only did it not magically turn into Spring overnight just because March is here… but we also just got HAMMERED with more snow over in NYC. Naturally, the only way I can combat this snowpression as I have named it (trademark!)… is with turning my oven on full blast. And what came out this time, you’re asking? BAKED OATMEAL. Now, I hopped on that bandwagon last winter, and let me tell you… it is one you need to get on if you haven’t already.
I frequently make smoothies for my breakfast, especially on weekdays to save time, and one of my FAVORITE smoothies is this one. It literally is drinking an apple pie… so good. So over the weekend, I wanted it but said, what the heck though… I have some time to experiment. And experiment I did… by adding some baking powder and tossing it in the oven. It was now my little Smoothie turned Apple Pie souffle! AND for breakfast. This reminded me why winter isn’t so bad… at least for a couple/few/million more weeks?! How is everyone else holding up out there?
- 1 apple (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 dates (pits removed)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon (plus more for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pre-heat oven to 350f degrees.
- Core and dice your apple into small pieces (if you’re using a regular blender, the smaller the better, if you have a NutriBullet or Vitamix you know the drill!)
- With your blender/Vitamix/NutriBullet: Blend everything except baking soda, until smooth.
- Manually mix in the baking soda.
- Spoon the batter into a ceramic oven-safe dish, add thinly sliced apples to the top and extra cinnamon as you like.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, it should be puffy, almost like a soufflé.