November 22 – December 21
MUTABLE FIRE SIGN
RULING PLANET: Jupiter
COLOR: Deep Purple
KEYWORDS: Honesty, Idealism, Adventure
Sagittarians are independent idealists who make friends wherever they go… which can be anywhere because they tend to have adventurous, free spirits. They love pushing the envelope and expanding their horizons and are ready to pack their bags and move on if something isn’t working. Their optimism and and honesty makes them easy to be around and tend to be very intellectual and philosophical, they value education and learning experiences where they can exercise their brain! They love to travel and explore or take risks for these reasons.
Sagittarians are usually out-spoken and can’t help but tell the truth, even if it hurts. But don’t take offense, they’re just calling it as they see it! They aim to inspire and to help others, they have a great attitude for it and are truly sincere and have a talent at seeing the bigger picture in life. As a mutable fire sign, change from a boring routine is imminent and the grass tends to be greener on the other side… they need to feel free and flexible, they will not do well when feeling too stuck. These are strongly independent and fun-loving individuals who can show anyone the lighter, brighter side of life.
Shopping for Sagittarius? Well… booking a trip or buying travel gear should be first on your list! Or start to think about what they like and how they like to continue their education… a cooking class? a writing workshop? that new fun spin class in town? They love experiences and they’d love you to join in the fun with them too! They love to be on the go, so get them moving and hop along for the ride if you can.
Fun-loving Sagittarius would love to spend a night with good food and wine, laughing and exchanging ideas and stories with everyone! A party big or small would be much appreciated. Candles to set a tone and soft music too… something you don’t have to scream over. Maybe when it gets later… you can crank it up and dance the night away!
Since they love to be on-the-go… cupcakes were a must in the Sagittarius inspired birthday recipe! So, Happy Birthday, Sagittarius – for your season: Carrot Cupcakes with Maple Meringue Buttercream! Sweet, a little spicy, and far from boring… easy to grab and go to the next adventure.
makes approx. 9 standard sized cupcakes or one 8 inch cake
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten-free flour (I use Cara’s blend and highly recommend it!)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 + 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground clove
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 pound carrots, shredded (approx. 3 standard carrots)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs (or flax eggs)
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
Maple Meringue Buttercream:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup raw un-refined sugar
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees and line cupcake tins.
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices) in a large mixing bowl.
- Separately, mix all wet ingredients (shredded carrots, syrup, eggs, vinegar and oil) until blended.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Scoop the batter into cupcake tins and bake for approx. 20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean (or close too it, moist crumbs are OK).
- Let cupcakes cool on a drying rack before starting on the buttercream.
- Over a double-boiler (one small pot with water and a heat-proof bowl on top of it, not touching the water), beat egg whites and sugar with a hand blender over medium heat (approx. 10 minutes).
- Once stiff peaks start to form, remove from the heat, continuously beating and begin to add the softened butter little by little (approx. 5 minutes).
- Once the buttercream is at a smooth consistency, add in the maple syrup and continue to beat until well combined.
- Spread or pipe the buttercream* onto cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
- Oh, and feel free to top with walnuts as I’ve done below, it’s delicious!
*If you have any issues with the buttercream… i.e., it’s too runny or becomes curdled.. it’s likely due to temperature issues. This happens all the time… do not fear – watch these videos for each scenario. It has saved me and quite frankly is magic. Or science… either way it works.
Hope you enjoy!
Would love to have your feedback below and remember to follow me on
Instagram, Bloglovin’, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest and greatest.