What’s Inside: One Pan Chicken and Veggies with Bacon Recipe to add to your list of Delicious and Quick Chicken Skillet Recipes (since you’ll always need these on hand). This Paleo, Whole30, and AIP-friendly meal can be made in just 30 minutes.
One Pan Chicken and Veggies with Bacon (Whole30, Paleo, AIP)
I am back with a quick weeknight meal that I’ve already received rave reviews about since it’s featured as one of the 50 anti-inflammatory recipes in my winter meal plan!! Literally someone said, “I didn’t even like brussels sprouts until now”… and while I’d love to pat myself on the back for that, I think the symphony of flavors in this chicken and bacon skillet had something to do with it.
Here’s the scoop:
Just getting started on AIP (or need a refresh)?
Here's an easy 1-week meal plan using some of my most popular AIP recipes to make it stress-free and delicious.
- the chopped veggies… going seasonal with brussels sprouts and butternut squash (to more save time, you can always buy pre-chopped/cubed veggies or chop them on the weekend)
- chopped protein (literally just go nuts on some chicken breast and bacon right out of the package… cutting this small makes everything go quicker)
- a hot cast iron pan… ah yes, the other MVP, any skillet will do but this provides extra flavor and is a healthier option.
- To make it extra nutrient-dense, you are welcome to use a little bone broth as cooking liquid, omit, or use water. It just helps absorb into the veggies and get them softer if you’d like!
Mixing chicken and bacon together is always a win, I’m sure that’s why you clicked on this recipe (let’s be real)… but so is mixing brussels sprouts with bacon.
Actually, let me just put this out there, ready?
Mixing BACON with anything IS A WIN. So now that we’ve established that, let’s move on to how this one pan chicken and veggies dish has it all…
… you can bet it’s perfectly balanced both in nutrition and in flavahhhh!
What are you waiting for? Grab your new favorite Paleo chicken dinner recipe below!
Bonus: Download this Sheet Pan Formula Infographic to stick on your fridge. It’s the only sheet pan recipe you’ll ever need to use with ingredients you have on hand!
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts cleaned and cut into small ½ inch pieces as shown
- 4 slices of nitrate/nitrite-free bacon roughly chopped
- 1 small-medium butternut squash peeled and cubed into small pieces as shown (or approx. 1 ½ cup pre-cubed)
- 12 ounces brussels sprouts chopped into thirds
- Sea salt and pepper to taste omit pepper for AIP
- 1/4 cup bone broth or water optional as cooking liquid
Prepare chicken and season with salt and pepper, set aside.
Chop bacon and add to a cast iron pan heated over medium, toss with a wooden spoon for appox. 5-7 minutes until the fat renders and bacon is cooked. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside. Leave the fat in the pan to cook with.
Add chicken pieces and cook, stirring, remove from the pan when golden after approx. 6 minutes or so. Add it to the same plate as your bacon bits.
Using the remaining bacon grease in the pan, add your chopped vegetables and stir well to coat in the oil. Cook on the stovetop for 5 minutes or so and then add in your cooking liquid, stir and reduce heat to medium-low. Optionally add cooking liquid for softer veggies.
Cover the cast iron with a lid and let cook for approx. 10-12 mins or so until vegetables are done and tender when pricked with a fork.
Add chicken and bacon back to the cast iron and stir, most or all liquid should be absorbed into the veggies by now. Serve when ready!
Here’s another easy-peasy chicken skillet dinner for you >>