Grain-free Tigernut Flour Muffins made with fresh strawberries are Paleo, Vegan and delicious! If you’re looking for some Tigernut flour recipes – I’ve got you.
Sweet Strawberry-lovin’ friends, SUMMER IS UPON US for those in the Eastern Hemisphere and it is ABOUT. TIME. I can hardly contain all the strawberries, asparagus and rhubarb in my fridge at the moment. Muffins are a great way to use up some fruit AND in the reverse, to use fruit in muffins. Why? Well… to sweeten them naturally, of course. I’ve been doing some experimentation with only using whole fruit as my sweetener in desserts/baked goods. After learning more and more about how sugar is linked to so many chronic diseases, hormonal imbalances, inflammation, attitude/mood/addiction and more – it’s enough to turn anyone off from it. Fruit has a mix of both fructose and glucose which provides nutritional value unlike just strait fructose in the forms of sugar, agave, etc. and while I already use minimal amounts of lower glycemic sweeteners such as maple syrup, coconut nectar, dates, etc. – I find it’s still too much at times and not necessary so why bother? Once and a while, perhaps – but I’m stubborn and would prefer to find ways without it. Using whole fruit or whole sweet veggies is my new calling. I think we are all sweet enough already 🙂
Have you tried nixing sugar?
After trying it, and seeing such a difference, it’s pretty easy to stay motivated as long as you can steer clear of too much temptation and still live a sweet life using more wholesome ingredients. I really feel you can accomplish both, so hopefully this recipe can inspire!
Tigernut flour is one of my favorite flours honestly, next to almond meal and coconut flour – it’s slightly sweet and nutty flavor (though it’s not a nut, it’s a tuber!) is really comforting. It makes for a soft muffin, the almond meal adds a little more density and the arrowroot powder, baking powder and baking soda help puff it up more. With all gluten-free muffins, to get it to puff up more into a muffin-shape vs. staying flat, I use a little scooper, pile the mixture high and shape it a little with a spatula. Works like a charm.
Grain-free Tigernut Flour Muffins w/ Strawberries (Vegan, Paleo, No sugar added)
Grain-free Strawberry Tigernut Muffins
- 3/4 cup tigernut flour
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp tahini or almond butter
- 1 flax egg or egg
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sliced strawberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350f degrees and add muffin liners to a muffin tin.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl: flours, baking soda and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: tahini, flax egg/egg, coconut oil, vanilla, milk, and vinegar.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and using a hand or stand mixer, combine until the batter forms.
- Add sliced strawberries and with a spatula, carefully mix in.
- Scoop batter into the muffin tins and bake for 20-25 minutes until the center is cooked (check the middle with a toothpick). They should be golden brown on the outside.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!