I’ve got your new favorite dessert non-recipe right here! You’ll be eating this all summer, fall, winter, spring… okay this is an all-year around dish because you can change the fruit seasonally and it’s brand new! I love a good recipe template that’s simple, healthy, and you can really make your own. Meet your new favorite thing to bake in a casserole dish: The Paleo Fruit Crisp! Also sometimes referred to as a “fruit crumble”… I use it interchangeably. But the gooey fruit underneath crumbs is the essence of it all.
I used a similar technique in my Apple Pie this past fall and it’s practically fail-proof, and always delicious. I’m using coconut flour here with shredded coconut but you could easily sub for any nut flour with nuts too. The fruit combos are endless as well.
- Fill your baking dish with fruit, leaving enough room for a thin layer of crumbs. (you can eyeball this)
- I used 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder for a 6×4 dish, if you go smaller than that, simply reduce it. This just makes the sauce thicker. I basically always use a half of a lemon no matter the portion!
- I never do more than 1 Tbsp of honey or maple syrup in either the crumb or filling because we are baking fruit here after all! It’s going to release plenty of sugars, this just helps it along even more and helps with the texture.
- I’ve been known to aimlessly pour vanilla and cinnamon – not going to lie. Use your gut here.
- I’ve found a 2:1 ratio of the flour to oil is a good combo, then I add the chopped nuts or shredded coconut (same amount as the oil). You just want crumbs to form when you mix it by hand with a spoon or fork, if you see it’s too oily – simply add more flour and vice versa. Very flexible.
Now. Let’s talk toppings! A mega simple one is whipped coconut cream. I ALWAYS have at least 1-2 cans of Let’s Do Organic Heavy Coconut Cream in the fridge. It whips up the BEST! I toss my whipping bowl in the freezer for a few minutes and once it’s nice and chilled, I scoop out the coconut cream, eyeball some vanilla and a little honey/maple syrup and WHIP. It gets perfectly thick and a dollop on top of a warm fruit crisp is my happy place. Alternatively, ICE CREAM is always a win too! How about yogurt? YUP. Anything creamy and cold.
Now, meet your favorite summer variation… the MIXED BERRY FRUIT CRISP. I warn you, you just might fall in love. If some peaches and other stone fruit later on in the summer happen to fall in, well that’s on you… I fully support it. ????
Mixed Berry Fruit Crisp (AIP, Paleo, Vegan)
For the filling
- 6 cups berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (omit for AIP or sub vanilla powder)
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350f degrees.
- Chop strawberries in half and clean remaining berries. Toss into your baking dish (I used a 6x4 dish) with arrowroot powder, lemon, honey/maple syrup, and vanilla. Pat filling down into a single even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, add all topping ingredients and by hand, mix with a spoon until crumbles form.
- Pour crumbles evenly over the filling and bake for approx. 20-25 minutes until crumbs are golden-brown and filling is bubbling.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes while getting ice cream, yogurt, or coconut whipped cream ready!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!