I’m in full Autumn mode and feeling like all the cozy bowls right about now! If you want a comforting, warm, hearty meal that you can easily make on a weeknight, then look no further because my Instant Pot Chicken Chili Verde is here to the rescue. Perfectly spiced, with additional greens (that’s baby spinach right there!) is just dreamy!! You can also adapt this to your own taste and even make it AIP-compliant if you nix the pepper, green bell peppers, and cumin. The cilantro, onion, garlic are the major stars in here anyway for me. I’m serving mine over cauliflower rice, but you can be really creative with yours! It’s a fabulous batch-cook or meal prep meal also since it feeds at least 6 and can make an amazing taco, bowl, or chilled and thrown on salad if you want!
I love to add bone broth in here for more nutrients, but you can pick any broth you like. Just be sure to season to taste. And if you don’t have an Instant Pot… I refuse to let you go one more season without it! It’s a major timesaver and creates flavorful, delicious meals in half the time it would take otherwise. This one is the one I use.
YASSSSS, queen to sneaking in more greens… I tossed baby spinach in at the end to let it wilt. Use any greens you fancy!
BOOM. Simple, comforting, nourishing… and done in a snap. I hope you enjoy!
Instant Pot Chicken Chili Verde (Paleo, Whole30, AIP-options)
Instant Pot Chicken Chili Verde
- 1.5 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts
- sea salt and pepper to taste Omit pepper for AIP
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped Omit for AIP
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin Sub Cinnamon for AIP
- 1/2 cup bone broth (or whatever broth you like)
- 2 handfuls baby spinach
- Rinse and pat chicken dry. Season to taste with salt/pepper
- Chop/mince all vegetables and herbs and set aside
- In the Instant Pot, set to the sauté setting (medium), add olive oil and let it heat up for a minute or so
- Add chopped onion and bell pepper first for a couple minutes until soft
- Next, add the chopped cilantro and lastly, the garlic. Stir everything together and let it cook for 30 seconds or so - do not burn the garlic. Lastly, add remaining spices and stir.
- Add the chicken thighs over top and broth. Hit "Cancel" on the Instant Pot to stop the sauté, close the lid, and set it to 10 minutes on "Manual".
- Be sure to use the natural release (do not open the vent yourself or liquid will come out), it shouldn't take too long!
- Once ready, remove your chicken pieces and either add to a mixing bowl to shred. You can shred manually with two forks or if you have a stand/hand mixer, it's a great trick to blend it for a quick shredding hack!
- Once shredded, add your chicken back into the Instant Pot to join the sauce. Add your baby spinach over top and stir it in manually to wilt. Taste and season to taste with any more spices or salt.
- Serve over cauliflower rice, rice, or any veggies you like or eat it alone! Optional toppings are avocado slices and more cilantro.
More Instant Pot Recipes:
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!