I’m so excited about this paleo paella recipe! It’s one of my favorite Summer dishes! I was so lucky to be able to travel to Majorca, Spain a few years ago with my little sister, where we joined a cooking class and learned how to make authentic mixed seafood paella while we sipped cava (Spanish sparkling wine), ate soppressata and got to learn from a talented chef all the ins and outs of authentic Spanish cooking (this is also where I learned how to make a tortilla – recipe here). I made some minor substitutions to make it grain-free with my beloved cauliflower rice and tossed in some bone broth because, well, why wouldn’t I?! I’ve also made this with white rice which is, of course, delicious, it does take longer as the rice needs to cook for much longer and you would need more liquid to get the rice cooked to the way you want it, so the cauli rice is actually quicker (and makes it a low carb paella if that’s your thing)!Jump to Recipe
KEY TIPS FOR DELICIOUS PAELLA:
- You MUST use Saffron or no deal. Find this in an international aisle or on Amazon. Yes, it can be a little pricey, but it will last you a long time and it goes A LONG WAY in Spanish cooking!
- Try to be patient as you develop the layers and flavors, allowing time for the liquid to cook and absorb will be worth it. (Paella isn’t soup!)
- The proteins can be interchangeable, there are Paellas without seafood, and no meat out there – you can really make it your own.
- Fresh tomatoes > canned tomatoes if you can and if they’re in season! (which for summer, they most definitely are!)
- I like using a round cast iron for the job, but any large pan will do.
Paleo Paella Recipe (Whole30, low-carb)
Perfectly spiced mixed seafood paella recipe that's paleo and low-carb made with cauliflower rice for the win! You will love this classic Spanish dish.
- 1 head cauliflower riced
- 6 oz. wild shrimp peeled & deveined
- ½ lb. mussels cleaned, pre-steamed & open on one shell
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ lb. chorizo compliant - I use @pedersons
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 large or 2 small fresh tomatoes grated
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- Pinch sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Pinch saffron
- Pinch sweet paprika
- 1-2 Tbsp Recaito or Picada optional - (handful of cilantro or parsley, ½ yellow onion, 1 green bell pepper, ¼ cup olive oil, 2 tsp white vinegar)
- 1 cup bone broth I use Bonafide Provisions Chicken
Make recaito/picada by mixing ingredients in a food processor.
Prep cauliflower, mussels, and shrimp; set aside
Chop and mince vegetables
Add oil to pan over medium heat, add chorizo and break up with spoon as you cook. Once cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
Add onions and tomato to cook for approx. 6/7 mins.
Add pepper and garlic to cook for 3 more mins while stirring and add saffron to taste.
Add cauliflower rice and stir to coat, then add back the chorizo, taste test to adjust seasonings as needed.
Flatten the cauli rice mixture and POUR the bone broth over top, let cook for 15 minutes and check in - cook until moisture is well absorbed.
Add shrimp and mussels on top, optionally garnish with more cilantro and continue to cook on medium-low for 10 more minutes. You can cover for a few minutes towards the end. Serve or freeze!