JUNE 22 – JULY 22
RULING PLANET: MOON
KEYWORDS: Affection, Empathy, Sensitivity
Generous and sensitive Cancerians are all about their feelings. The moon is their ruling planet… which says it all. Just as the moon controls the tides coming in and out, you can expect Cancer’s mood to change just the same, they can be highly vulnerable, empathetic and emotional. They’re usually pretty understanding of their own emotional needs and tend to protect themselves (like the outer shell of a crab!) so they don’t get hurt. They also don’t want to always show their sensitivity, for fear it could appear as a weakness. So it can seem at times that they’re withdrawn or preferring to be alone, and this is so they can gather their feelings appropriately.
As a water sign, Cancerians are very nurturing and loving, they’re the type of friends to always have your back when you’re down and out. They’ll make you soup when you’re sick and spoon feed it to you if they have to! You can definitely count on them for care. This is again because of how empathetic they are and they refuse to give their loved ones anything less than they’d give themselves. Being such a sentimental sign, they find great meaning with symbols, or souvenirs of sorts… they’ll tend to save things that remind them of something important. They wouldn’t throw anything important away easily. They take care in everything they do which has importance to them and seek support to be reciprocated since they are willing to support and be loyal to those they care for.
Shopping for a Cancer? Firstly, the saying “it’s the thought that counts” certainly goes a long way here – Cancerians will be grateful that you cared enough to give them a gift! Think sentimental: a framed photo of loved ones or places, things, etc. that they find special would be an easy win. Not only for the sentimental value but because it’s something for the home – as nurturers, they love to keep a tidy and cozy home. In the way of photos or momentos, you probably can’t go wrong… any trinkets that would symbolize an inside joke or shared occasion will strike them right in the heart, giving them ‘all the feels’ and ultimately, that’s the way to keep your Cancerian feeling appreciated and special. Still stumped? Think also about how they can organize their belongings, as they tend to hold on to a lot and not feel comfortable throwing items away that may be meaningful. Decorative boxes or organization systems of any kind would be super useful and a great way for them to keep their home in order! Alternatively, think about something for their chest or stomach (it’s their body zone) – maybe a beautiful shirt from their favorite store?! Or for the Cancer you don’t know well enough to get all gushy about… go with some lovely flowers in a violet shade or decorative candle.
Happy Birthday, Cancer! This season is all about the feelings, emotions and warm gooey stuff, SO enter a warm gooey crisp with seasonal fruit and dark chocolate topped with almonds, a dollop of whipped coconut cream… AND chocolate shavings. This is emotional eating at it’s prettiest for summer. The deep and decadent chocolate-cherry filling with nutty, creamy toppings are beautiful for a summer dessert spread and will fit right in for a Cancerian birthday celebration!
How can Cancer season inspire? Remember through all the obligations or hard work and focus you’re putting in, to put it down and look around you. Take in this summer, enjoy the big things as well as the small, find meaning in them and enjoy your loved ones’ company. Take nothing for granted, mean what you say and say what you mean. Happy Summer!
serves 4 // gluten-free & vegan
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp coconut nectar (or honey/maple syrup)
- 1 oz. dark chocolate (I use ALOHA brand which contains greens!)
- 1 1/4 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Almond crisp topping:
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds (or roughly chopped)
- 2/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or raw unrefined sugar
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- optional: coconut whipped cream & chocolate shavings, AND extra cherries on top!
- Pre-heat the oven to 400f degrees (I promise oven time won’t be long!) and grease 4 ramekins or baking dishes with coconut oil on a paper towel.
- In a bowl, add all dry crisp topping ingredients and mix with a spoon. Set aside.
- To a saucepan, add: the pitted and halved cherries, water, sweetener and chocolate over low-medium heat. Stir around for 2 minutes or so as the chocolate melts into the cherry sauce. Once you see the chocolate has melted and the sauce is brown, add the vanilla extract and corn starch, still stirring as it thickens up.
- Once your filling has thickened and cherries are soft enough to cut with the spoon you’re stirring with, evenly divide the filling across ramekins.
- Return to the topping and add the melted coconut oil, stir until completely combined.
- Add the topping to each ramekin over top in a thin layer, covering the filling.
- Bake crisps for approx. 15 minutes until the tops are golden and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
- Use this time to get your coconut whipped cream ready if you’re using, simply grab a refrigerated coconut milk can and spoon out the top cream only. Whip with a hand mixer until you have whipped cream for a minute or two! Store in the fridge.
- Once your crisps are ready, let cool for at least 5 minutes and either serve warm or cold with toppings!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!