Gluten-free | Vegan
Weekends and Pancakes… the perfect couple. These are super rustic looking and pleasantly filling with a fluffy, cake-like texture. They’re made with buckwheat flour, a lot of cinnamon and cardamom… topped with a pretty green apple for a little tang. Oh, and there is some pumpkin puree in there too! Pumpkin puree is a great way to moisten up baked goods and they replace the egg in these, making them vegan. Serve with some good maple syrup and you’re good to go!
- 1/2cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2cup oat flour
- 1tsp baking soda
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp cardamom
- 4 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 1tsp maple syrup (plus more for topping)
- 1cup almond milk
- 1tsp butter or coconut oil to grease the pan
- optional: thinly sliced green apple for the top
- Combine all ingredients (except apples) in a mixer and blend until smooth (pour wet into dry).
- Heat a cast iron pan or griddle on high and add a tsp of butter or coconut oil, coat your pan.
- With a ladle, spoon the batter onto the pan, and with a swirling motion make sure it’s all together in a circle, fairly flat in the center. If you are adding a sliced apple, wait 30 seconds and top the wet side with the apple. As you see bubbles forming, check the bottom side and flip accordingly. Pat the center a little to make sure center cooks.
- Continue and serve with maple syrup!