October 23 – November 21
FIXED WATER SIGN
RULING PLANET: Pluto, Mars
COLOR: Deep Reds and Black
KEYWORDS: Passion, Intensity, Power
Scorpios are known as the most intense sign of the zodiac. Everything is done whole-heartedly or not at all, extremes are common with them and they mean it. They’ll often be described as deep, mysterious, and emotional which are all due to belonging to a water sign. Ruled by Pluto, Scorpios are extremely intuitive and will see through any lies or mysteries presented in front of them. They will act as detectives, always digging and bringing out the truth, but are very careful when revealing much about themselves. They are also ruled by Mars which governs our survival instincts and assertiveness, making for a magnetic combination. They tend to protect themselves and have amazing survival and reformative tendencies, where in lies their power.
While they are a water sign, they are also fixed which gives them the staying power and will to persevere to push through and meet their goals. When fixated on something or someone, they will go above and beyond and not be able to let go. Their will and persistence is very strong and they are in it till the end. But, beware of crossing them… you could lose them forever if they feel betrayed. When in love, Scorpio will apply all of these traits to their relationship, but will also soften up for their mate. They value true love, honesty, and loyalty in relationships and friendships, and feel at home with those they can trust. You’re either with them or against them, stick with Scorpio to go far and enjoy the ride.
Shopping for Scorpio? They probably bought it already, silly! They may be the toughest to shop for and they are PICKY! So you better get creative and appeal to their hobbies or desires, stalking their Pinterest boards wouldn’t be a bad idea (or check mine for some inspiration). Surprising them will be tough, but it will show you care. So you can either ask them bluntly what they want OR be prepared. Anything in black is a safe bet, anything sexy or mysterious should also go over well. Do you have an inside joke with them? Run with that. Anything with deep meanings or even the metaphysical should please them.
Happy Birthday, Scorpios! A Spiced Chocolate-Chestnut Cake, inspired by this dark and mysterious sign. This cake is moist, dark, and nutty with some curious, spicy undertones (of deliciousness, obvi). A fine dessert to be served when Scorpio has their close, tight-knit group of friends or family around.
Music should be in the air, beautiful bold/jewel-tone flowers on the table, a seafood dinner followed by chocolate cake is a perfect atmosphere for a Scorpio celebration. A night of dancing right after wouldn’t hurt either! Scorpios should loosen up, relax and shine during this season.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour (gluten-free)
- 1/3 cup raw cane sugar
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup chestnut puree (recipe below)
- 3 tbsp chai masala tea water (double brewed)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional: 1/3 cup chocolate chips for batter or for topping
- Topping shown: cinnamon and powdered sugar
- 4oz. shelled pre-cooked chestnuts
- 2/3 cup chai masala tea water (double-brewed) or just use plain water
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat for 15 minutes, uncovered stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and puree in a blender, set aside.
- Double brew 8oz of chai masala tea (if not, you can just use plain water in the recipes) and set aside.
- Make chestnut puree as noted above and set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 325f degrees and grease an 8-inch cake pan with coconut oil.
- Combine dry ingredients for cake into a mixing bowl and whisk.
- Separately, beat eggs in a large mixing bowl and then add all wet ingredients to the eggs including the chestnut puree and mix.
- Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix until thoroughly combined. If adding chocolate chips, now is the time! Taste the batter to adjust the sweetness or spiciness to your liking.
- Bake for approx. 30-35 minutes until set in the middle (toothpick test!) and let rest for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Add toppings of choice whether you are dusting with sugar and spices or some coconut whipped cream!