BBQs? Picnics? Meal prep in a hot and humid apartment? Yep, that’s my summer too! I decided I would need a go-to that I could easily make in bulk without turning on the oven of course… and that would keep well. NAY. Get even better the longer it sits! That would make for any great potluck dish and double as a great meal prep dish too, so you can just grab it and go as you need. Enter: Quinoa Tabbouleh!!
I’ve always loved the aroma of tabbouleh, strangely enough… considering I don’t normally enjoy a dish largely comprised of raw tomatoes and parsley, but something about the mint and cucumbers with the citrus and extra virgin olive oil turns it all into so much more! Know what I mean? Normally this is made with bulgar or I’ve also seen couscous, but I don’t eat either, so I wanted to try out quinoa and LOVE IT. Quinoa is a great substitution here and great all-around. Check out my pocket reference with a non-recipe recipe & nutritional benefits here.
This literally takes maybe 20-30 minutes to put together (watch those fingers when you’re a dicing machine!!) – and you have an awesome, abundant dish everyone will scarf down. And like I said, storing it in the fridge is easy for the week and it somehow gets better and better sitting in that marinade. So it’s great to make a head the night before serving also. Serve chilled or at room temperature and enjoy!! Stay cool out there. XO
serves 6 or more
- 1 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 8 oz. cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 12 large mint leaves
- 6 scallions/green onions
- 1/2 English cucumber
- 2 large lemons, juiced (approx. 1/2 cup lemon juice)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt, pepper to taste
- Make the dressing by whisking all ingredients together, pour over the cooked quinoa and let marinate in a large serving bowl.
- Chop tomatoes and cucumbers to be approximately the same size (small cubes). When chopping cucumber, remove any seeds and lightly pat dry with a paper towel. This is to prevent the salad from becoming too soggy. Thinly slice the scallions as well. Set aside in a bowl.
- Rinse and dry the parsley and mint leaves (don’t take the stems), finely chop both together.
- Now mix all ingredients together in the bowl with the quinoa until well-combined. Top off with a little sea salt and serve! Store in the fridge.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!