Well, I have made quite a few attempts to get these just right, and here they are! The no-bake lemon squares of my dreams. What, like you don’t dream of these things?! Well if you don’t, you just may after trying them. I had first attempted it with various butters like almond and sunflower seed butter, but it wasn’t quite right. Then it dawned on me that I needed my agar agar flakes to get a better consistency. I Messed around with that a bit… And happened to find out I had a recipe in my possession that would help me connect the dots from one of my go-to cookbooks, Veganomicon (their recipe posted here). Those genius ladies made me realize I needed some arrowroot powder too. Done. The crust is easy-peasy and all are edible without baking. The dates and coconut oil hold it together perfectly. Oh and of course… This is all gluten-free and vegan (use syrup instead of honey if you don’t eat honey!).
The best part about it is it doesn’t need to be overnight… Only a few hours to set. And who doesn’t love a “set it and forget it” dessert? You’re busy, you’re getting stuff done, and then you also made lemon squares… Because that’s how you roll.
gluten-free & vegan
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 3 tbsp agar flakes
- 3 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- Lemon zest from 2 lemons (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used almond milk)
- Place parchment paper in a 9×9 square dish. Add water and agar agar flakes in a medium saucepan, let sit for 15 minutes (no heat yet).
- Meanwhile, make the crust: combine all ingredients in a food processor and mix until combined. Press crust mixture into the dish on top of parchment paper in a single layer on the bottom and refrigerate.
- Prep the lemons by setting aside the zest and separately, the juice. Add the arrowroot powder to the juice and stir, set aside.
- Return to the saucepan after 15 minutes and heat over medium heat bringing the mixture to a boil for approx. 10 minutes, whisk the agar and water as it heats.
- Add sweetener and turmeric, then lower heat a bit. Add lemon juice with arrowroot and zest, keep mixing. You should see it getting thicker and thicker, keep whisking for 5 minutes. Add the milk, stir in until incorporated.
- Turn the heat off, and let it sit for approx. 20 minutes to cool. After, pour the mixture over the chilled crust and place everything back in the refrigerator for at least 4+ hours to set until the top has turned into a jello-like consistency and jiggles.
- Slice and serve the squares!