Love, love love LENTILS! They’re so filling and delicious. I normally eat them in soup but I’ve been wanting to try them in more of a side since I will eat them any old way I can find them 🙂 Throwing in a seasonal bunch of brussels sprouts, using similar flavors I use in my lentil soup – this skillet veggie dish was born. Throw this on top of a salad or rice bowl or use it as a bed for your favorite clean protein like chicken breast or fish! It’s flavorful and comforting and is good to last you a few days to use in a variety of ways. And how is roasted brussels sprouts ever a bad thing?
- 2 cups brussels sprouts, chopped into thirds
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large shallot (or 2 small)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sea salt, pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450f degrees and slice brussels sprouts into 3 slices (after removing outer leaves and brown bottoms).
- Use 1 tsp of olive oil to pour over brussels in a bowl and toss with salt and pepper until well-covered.
- Spread brussels sprouts over a parchment paper lined baking sheet and roast for approx. 25 minutes, flipping after 15 minutes until browned (you will continue to cook it on the stovetop).
- Meanwhile, rinse lentils under water and drain. Add them to a small saucepan with water and bay leaf, and simmer lentils for approx. 25-30 minutes until tender over medium heat, uncovered. A lot of the water should be absorbed in the lentils, but not all. Don’t drain.
- Get a skillet ready with the rest of the olive oil, chopped shallots and garlic over low-medium heat. Spread around with a wooden spoon for approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add the roasted brussels sprouts to the skillet next, stirring.
- Spoon lentils into skillet, alternate the water from the pot with seasonings and tomato paste as you stir.
- Continue like this, and taste when everything has come together, adjust seasonings as needed. Finally, add in the red wine vinegar and stir. Serve hot.
Hope you enjoy!
Would love to have your feedback below and remember to follow me on
Instagram, Bloglovin’, Twitter, Pinterest and Facebook for the latest and greatest.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!