Low carb lo mein, anyone? Lo mein was a favorite of mine growing up and ordering Chinese takeout… and it’s been forever since I’ve gotten my hands on some! To make it myself at home with all whole food, nutrient-dense ingredients made it the best I’ve ever had. If you try this, you’ll see what I mean.
AND! I got a new paaaa-aaan! Check out this pretty non-stick All-Clad pan I am sporting, guys! I used to cook with non-stick pans all the time until hearing so much about how unhealthy it can be depending on the materials used if it came off on your food. We started getting really turned off by that and trashed all my non-stick pans that contained the synthetic material, Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA)… which turned out to be all of them (Ahh!).
So, I switched to using only stainless steel or cast iron now which I’ve adapted to, but it wasn’t easy coming from non-stick life – do you know what I mean? Using more oil for stainless steel so if things don’t stick, and learning the ins and outs of taking care of a cast iron. But sometimes it’s nice to have a quick go-to pan that is easy all-around ready for your crazy culinary experimentations, ENTER: this beautiful pan. It checks off all the boxes… and is made with a PFOA-free nonstick interior (YAY!). I have found it to be very easy to cook with, and I can use very little oil or butter in any recipe that I know I don’t want to stick, like a stir-fry or omelet.
The heat was also perfectly even and I love the shape, perfect for quick and constant stirring. Clean-up was also so very easy, no scrubbing involved. Not to mention, the recipe here is all made in this one pan so that made clean up even better! ZING. Anyway, I love the pan so much… I’m delighted to host a giveaway with All-Clad so one of you can put it to the test yourself! Details on that are after the recipe.
Let’s talk about this heavenly dish now, shall we? The butternut squash in this recipe gets to play the part of noodles in my super flavorful lo mein!! I used to adore takeout lo mein when I was a kid. So to eat it now, being chock-full of veggies, from my own kitchen, guilt-free… is a really special thing. What I really love, nay… RESPECT about butternut squash is how sturdy it is. It holds up so well no matter what you do to it. That’s my kinda FOOD! So I tossed this baby with peppers, mushrooms, and kale and slathered it in a ginger-tamari or coconut aminos sauce. You have to try it. And I also need to make more.
Paleo Butternut Squash Lo Mein
Butternut Squash Lo Mein
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and spiralized
- 1 tsp peanut oil or coconut oil divided
- 1/2 yellow onion or 1 small yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 8 oz. button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups kale or spinach
- 2 tbsp tamari gluten-free soy sauce OR coconut aminos (soy-free)
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil plain is fine too, just not as flavorful
- 1/2 tsp peanut oil omit for Paleo
- 1/2 tsp ginger minced, ground or juice
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- topping: sesame seeds
- In a non-stick skillet, use 1/2 tsp peanut or coconut oil and heat over medium heat. Add butternut squash "noodles" and toss for 5-6 minutes with tongs until tender but al-dente. Set aside for later.
- In the same skillet, add remaining 1/2 tsp of oil and add your vegetables (sliced onions, peppers, mushrooms).
- Saute with a wooden spoon for approx. 3-5 minutes until soft. Now add in the minced garlic and stir, then add the kale and keep stirring until wilted and well mixed.
- Add your sauce and reserved squash "noodles", keep stirring with tongs and keep mixing until sauce has coated everything and noodles are as tender as you like them. Finally, top off with 1-2 tbsp of sesame seeds. and mix once more. Serve!
And now… for the Giveaway! Good Luck, guys!
Open to USA residents, 18 yrs or older only. No P.O. Boxes.
This giveaway is open until November 12, 2015 at 11:59pm EST. One randomly selected winner will be chosen to win an All-Clad NS1 Nonstick Induction Chef’s Pan with Lid. The winner will be notified via e-mail and will have 48 hours to respond or a new winner will be selected.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!
Disclosure: I was not compensated to write this post. All-Clad is generously providing the All-Clad NS1 Nonstick Induction Chef’s Pan with Lid for one reader. My opinions are my own.