Fact: Putting an egg on it makes it brunch. I know, strong blog post opening…
I bought my Paderno spiralizer before zucchinis came into season just waiting for my moment and then somehow forgot about it until now. Well I broke this baby out of the pantry and now I know what all the fuss is about with these spiralizing machines. I had previously used one of hand held quickie ones that did the job but wasn’t nearly as fun to use, nor as fancy with different attachments and options! I’m stoked to have upgraded. Are you guys spiralizing??
Anyhoo, brunch also makes me ecstatic so I knew eggs would be involved… vegans, ignore that part of the recipe 😉
I had a handful of basil, and almonds so a quickie pesto came out of that, minus all the oil since I used oil with my eggs. I used lemon juice in the pesto as my main liquid which made it so citrusy, light and refreshing and also goes so well with zucchini. This dish will leave a smile on your face and makes a great side or an egg holder as I’ve used it.
Brunch Zoodles with Lemon Almond Pesto/serves 2// gluten-free//vegetarian (vegan optional)
- 1 zucchini, spiralized
- juice of 1 lemon
- handful of almonds (or approx. 1/4 cup)
- handful of fresh basil (or approx. 1/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 4 eggs for topping + approx. 1 tbsp olive oil if frying
- To a food processor or blender, add: lemon, almonds, basil, and garlic and mix until pesto forms. Set aside.
- Spiralize zucchini and lightly pat dry with a paper towel.
- To a skillet over medium heat, add 1/2 tsp olive oil and give the pan a swirl so it’s coated, then add the zoodles and with tongs stir the zoodles around for approx 3-4 minutes until al dente.
- Turn the heat off and stir the zoodles and pesto together, using a tong or wooden spoons to coat. Plate the zoodles and if topping with an egg, make a little cradle to hold them!
- Make your eggs as you like them, I made them over medium (heat oil in a pan, crack eggs into the pan and lightly cover with a top until cooked). Top your zoodles off with your eggs and serve!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!