What’s Inside: Just because you’re eating clean doesn’t mean you have to forego your favorite desserts. This Paleo Coffee Cake is AIP-friendly, vegan, and features the signature nutty, cinnamon cake bottom and crumbly, crunchy topping everyone loves about coffee cake.
Have Your Paleo Coffee Cake and Eat It, Too
My love for coffee cake runs SO deep… as in I loved it before I even tried coffee. (Did anyone else love those Drakes Coffee Cakes as a kid?) Well, I had quite the craving for it recently, so here we go!
I was mildly nervous because, with AIP cake recipes, it can be rough without the eggs. However, the mix of Tigernut and Cassava flours really do not disappoint! And I so wanted to try an egg-free version, so that makes this a vegan coffee cake, too.
It took only two tries to perfect this recipe. And WOW, am I stoked with the outcome. You will absolutely love the moist cake bottom and crumbly, slightly crunch topping.
And for once, this was sweet enough (but not overly so, because homie don’t play that!) for my sweet-toothed hubby. He’s as obsessed with this Paleo coffee cake as I am!
Paleo Coffee Cake Pairs Perfectly with Your Favorite Cold Weather Drink
Since I’m laying off coffee these days (looking out for those adrenals, especially during pregnancy), I decided to serve it with some Rasa Coffee (an herbal coffee/replacement). But you can serve this Paleo coffee cake with any cold weather drink you prefer, like legit coffee, tea, or perhaps one of my mushroom lattes.
The bitter and earthy taste from the Rasa was lovely with the cinnamon spice of this killer gluten-free coffee cake. I will definitely try it with some white tea next time I have a slice.
You Just Can’t Beat That Crumb Topping
I’m a sucker for desserts with crumb toppings. Not only is it easier than more intricate toppings like a lattice pie top, but there’s something so homey and comforting about it. The maple syrup and solid coconut oil make for a sticky topping when raw, but it comes out soft with a little crunch on the exterior after it’s baked. It just stays put right on top of your coffee cake.
Plus, I have a new trick, y’all. Instead of dusting powdered sugar on top (which I never have on hand), I just sprinkled cassava flour for the sheer look of it. And trust me, you won’t even taste it at all. It just looks extra pretty this way!
So, who’s making some Paleo coffee cake for their next tea date?
How To Make the Best Paleo Coffee Cake
Paleo Coffee Cake (AIP, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Grain-Free)
- Preheat the oven to 325°F and grease a square baking dish or a large loaf pan. (I used a 6x8.) Set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl and give it a whisk to get out any clumps.
- Separately, to another bowl, mix coconut oil, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture into the dry and mix well into a dough. Pour milk in as you are mixing.
- Spread the batter into your prepared cake tin evenly with a spatula. Set aside.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl by hand (this way you don't over-do it), whisk together all ingredients into a crumbly mixture with a fork or small whisk to get bigger crumbles.
- Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top of the cake batter with your hands, leaving the crumbs intact as you can.
- Bake for 25 minutes, allow to cool and then serve! Optionally sprinkle your cake with sifted cassava flour (very lightly!!) for the look of powdered sugar.
- Store in a closed container for a few days on the countertop or refrigerate if you want it to last longer (though it won't be as moist).
- If you want to use a liquid sweetener in the cake instead of coconut sugar, simply add the same amount to the wet ingredients and omit the 2 Tbsp of milk.
- I haven't tried a different topping, this one is my tried-and-true, but if you don't have coconut flour, you can probably feel good about just replacing it with more tigernut flour!
More Recipes To Try
If you like this Paleo coffee cake, you’ll love these recipes:
- Flourless Pumpkin Muffins (Paleo, Refined Sugar-Free)
- Paleo Tigernut Waffles (AIP, Vegan)
- Paleo Pumpkin Banana Bread (Gluten-free, Grain-free, Sugar-Free)
- Grain-free Strawberry Tigernut Muffins (Vegan, Gluten-free, Paleo, No Added Sugar)
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!