What’s Inside: How to make a low-sugar smoothie that’s Paleo and AIP-friendly, easier to digest, will keep you satiated longer than your average sugar-spiking smoothie, that tastes delish with my simple template and one of my favorite recipes… a Mint Chocolate Smoothie!
Low Sugar Smoothie Template (anti-bloat, digestion-friendly)
Smoothies can be a great meal option for convenience, especially on a weekday morning when you’re rushing around to do #allthethings and just need to get a meal in. But the traditional sugar-laden smoothie can sadly spike our blood sugar and muck with our hormones and digestion (ever get that smoothie bloat?). Plus, it often doesn’t even satiate you until your next meal… so what was the point? There’s a much better way, you just need an easy formula to get it done without even thinking about it! Use my template below to build a low sugar smoothie that will still taste amazing, should feel much better on your tummy, and keep your energy and satiation going much longer. I’m also sharing some digestion tips and my current favorite Green Smoothie with…. (drumroll…) BONE BROTH IN IT!
I myself had to take quite the time-out from drinking smoothies because my gut was so impaired. I used to bloat immediately, feel like it was stuck in my throat and not digesting, and be hungry 30 minutes later. NO THANK YOU. I quit them… but missed the time-saving benefits and sometimes you just feel like it. Through working on healing my gut more and testing out new recipes, these tips have been a game-changer.
Anti-bloat Low Sugar Smoothie Template
- GREENS (Pick 1 or 2):
- heaping handful Frozen spinach or any other greens you like
- heaping handful Frozen cauliflower rice or florets (if cauliflower bothers you, try pre-steaming and freezing first)
- heaping handful Frozen zucchini or squash (can also precook if needed)
- LIQUID (pick 1 or multiple):
- 3/4-1 cup Bone Broth (you shouldn’t taste it)
- 3/4-1 cup Water
- 3/4-1 cup Non-dairy unsweetened milk
- PROTEIN (Pick 1):
- 1 serving Nuzest Protein Powder (a plant protein, not for AIP)
- 1 serving Equip Protein (animal protein)
- 1 serving Collagen Peptides (while this is not a complete protein, I’m adding it for any AIP folks since it’s the only recommendation for AIP, I would also recommend checking out the Equip protein as there are no eggs, and it’s from beef)
- FAT (Pick 1):
- 1-2tbsp almond or cashew butter (omit for AIP) (I love using the Georgia Grinders brand that’s made in an allergen-friendly facility, use FOODBYMARS for 25% off)
- 1-2tbsp coconut butter
- Coconut oil or MCT oil
- 1/4th – 1/2 avocado
- NATURALLY, SWEETEN (Optional – Pick 1)
- 1 serving frozen butternut squash
- 1 serving frozen pineapple
- 1 serving frozen berries or cherries
- FIBER BOOST (Pick 1):
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal or flax seeds (omit for AIP)
- 1-2 Tbsp chia seeds (omit for AIP)
- TOPPINGS (Optional – something to chew for optimal digestion):
- Unsweetened coconut chips
- Seeds (omit for AIP)
- Raw cacao nibs (omit for AIP)
- Chopped nuts (omit for AIP)
- ADD-ONS (Optional)
- medicinal mushroom powders
- collagen peptides
- FLAVOR ENHANCERS
- Spices (cinnamon is my favorite and wonderful to stabilize blood sugar, cardamom, too!)
- Extracts (vanilla, mint, cinnamon, hazelnut, almond… in place of sugar, extracts are my secret weapon for more flavor and a mega-tasty smoothie – check out my mint smoothie below)
- Citrus (lemon, lime, orange – zest it up!)
- Brewed teas or tea crystals
General Taste/Mouthfeel Smoothie Tips:
- You can leave the chia or flaxseed meal to “marinate” in the liquid for 10 mins or so to help thicken it up even more.
- You can always add ice to keep it colder (especially if you’re on the go) and to make it a bit thicker.
- Start with LESS liquid, and add as needed. Once it’s too thin, it’s harder to recover, but starting out thick is easy to rectify!
Better Gut Health Smoothie Tips:
more ways to make this a no bloat smoothie…
- CHEW first to stimulate digestion!
- DRINK your smoothie SLOWLY. Use Mindful Eating tactics always.
- You can always pre-steam veggies and freeze them in bulk if your digestion is very impaired.
- GO EASY ON PROBIOTICS OR PROTEIN WITH PROBIOTICS. This might tout better digestion, but you may not be able to handle it.
- If you take digestive enzymes, you may still need them even with a smoothie. Test it out to see what works best.
- Try the bone broth… you will LOVE IT and it’s a great way to get it in your diet.
Here’s my current favorite go-to recipe using the template above!
LOW SUGAR GREEN MINT CHOCOLATE SMOOTHIE RECIPE
Low Sugar Mint Chocolate Smoothie (no-bloat)
- 1 cup bone broth you won’t taste it, I love Bonafide Provisions brand
- a large handful of frozen spinach
- handful ice
- Nuzest chocolate protein powder
- 1/2 tsp mint extract or you can use fresh mint
- 1 heaping tablespoon cashew butter or nut/seed/coconut butter of choice, use “FOODBYMARS” for a 25% discount on Georgia Grinders
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal or 1-2 Tbsp chia seeds
- Optionally top with cacao nibs or coconut shavings to chew and stimulate digestion before drinking
- Blend and enjoy slowly!
Want more digestion-friendly meals? Download my free 3-day anti-inflammatory meal plan with Paleo + AIP-friendly recipes.
Want more smoothie resources? My friend Beth @Tastyyummies has a wonderful guide to smarter smoothies you would love!