Lunch bowls are my default on the weekends when I’m running around running errands or doing chores, they’re also perfect for packing up and meal prep. This one is spring vegetable inspired using asparagus and peas with quinoa in a spinach pesto sauce! The lemon in the sauce really freshens this up… it’s light but so filling. It would be easy to sub in any vegetables in here also. The sauce coats everything so nicely it brings it all together.
Now, to take a lunch bowl up a notch? Add edible flowers, duh. Marx Foods is running a competition on food photography for their lovely edible flowers. I was so excited to work with them and jumped at the chance to try it out! That really took this lunch bowl to a new level. These flowers are called, “Nasturtium Blossoms” and are peppery in flavor, so they’re perfect for any savory dish! And THAT. COLOR! Lovely… you eat with your eyes first after all…
serves 2 // vegan & gluten-free
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup peas
- 8 stalks of asparagus
- spinach pesto sauce (recipe below)
Spinach Pesto Sauce:
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of 1 lemon or 1/2 large lemon
Blend all pesto ingredients together in a processor or blender – voila!
- Make quinoa according to package directions and spinach pesto above.
- Clean and chop asparagus into bite sized pieces.
- Add asparagus and peas to a pot and fill with water, bring to a boil and once it’s boiling, stick the asparagus with a fork to make sure it’s tender and remove from heat.
- Drain veggies and let air dry for a few minutes.
- Add to a large bowl: quinoa, veggies, and spinach pesto (spoon in slowly to taste), add salt and pepper over top and garnish with micro greens if you got them!