I came across some beautiful red (but it’s purple, though.) cabbage, it’s just coming into season now in September and theres nothing I love more than topping off sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and more with some crunchy red cabbage slaw! Also, carrots – I found colorful carrots at the Green Market, and while orange and purple are pretty enough… adding some yellow and white carrots in there made an even prettier bowl :), also a more interesting taste… slightly parsnip-y if you will. This is super simple, use your favorite mustard and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days, mix it in your salads, use it as a side and throw it on top of everything else you eat. It’ll be gone before you know it!
- 3 large carrots, grated (yields approx. 3 cups)
- 3 cups of shredded red cabbage (or approx. 1 quarter head of cabbage)
- 2 tsp mustard (I used this Dijon Mustard, because I’m fancy)
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp honey or maple syrup (unless using a sweet mustard already)
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp celery powder (or sub in onion powder)
- 1+ tbsp water
- salt, pepper to taste
- Shred cabbage with a chef’s knife and grate carrots (or for a quicker turnaround on those carrots, pulse them in a food processor and save yourself the bloody knuckles!). Place everything in a large mixing bowl.
- To a small mason jar or a jar with a lid you can shake with, add mustard, tahini, sweetener, vinegar, celery powder, salt and pepper – shake it all up. Then add 1+ tbsp of water to loosen it up, taste it and adjust any seasonings or add more water if too thick. Mix it up again.
- Add dressing to the slaw and toss with wooden spoons until everything is coated. Let sit for 10-15 minutes. Store in the fridge if not eating right away.
Oh, and here is a sneak peak of the next recipe…
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!