A bowl of steaming hot, fluffy rice… heaven. There are few things that can sedate me like that can. I grew up eating tons of white rice and beans and till this day just the sight of it makes me feel comforted. Fried rice too, so naughty but so good … let’s cut to the chase here, OK, I LOVE RICE. Any kind will do. I absolutely love wild, brown and black rice in addition to white. I certainly don’t have it as often, once in a while and maybe 1/4 – 1/3 cup for a serving… but I do enjoy every bit of it. Why? Unfortunately rice can basically turn to sugar in your stomach and with diabetes on both sides of my family and trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I have to keep it to a minimum. But there are certainly health benefits to it too and I definitely appreciate it much more now in moderation. Isn’t that how it always goes?
Anyhoo, in finding healthier alternatives to mix in – cauliflower rice is an excellent substitute. It’s a low carb option packed with vitamins and minerals and is SO easy to make. Like, EASY-EASY. If you have a food processor, or a knife and some chopping skills, you too can have this in your life. The first time I tried it, I was pleasantly surprised at how I could demolish a whole bowl and still feel great after. Since it’s also so quick to cook and versatile, it’s my go-to on weeknights when I need to get dinner on the table fast! This recipe is so flexible, and see my note about adding scrambled eggs to the mix if you’d like.
Autumn Veggie Cauliflower ‘Fried Rice’//serves 4/gluten-free/grain-free/vegan/low-carb
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 head cauliflower, grated
- 1/4 head red cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 leaves of curly kale
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- topping: handful of cashews
- salt, pepper to taste
- Prepare veggies first by pulsing chopped cauliflower florets in a food processor until it looks like rice. Shred the cabbage, chop carrots and shallot and rip up the kale and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet with coconut oil over medium and add chopped shallots, stirring for a minute with a wooden spoon.
- Add shredded cabbage, carrots, and kale to the skillet and keep stirring until kale is wilted and cabbage is soft.
- Next, add the cauliflower and stir to mix with veggies.
- Then add in the minced ginger and garlic and then tamari, continue to stir until well combined.
- If you eat eggs, feel free to make a well in the middle of the pan and add 2 beaten eggs to it – stirring to combine with rice.
- Remove from heat once cauliflower is soft, add salt and pepper to taste and top with cashews and any other garnish you like. Serve. Keeps well in the fridge for 4-5 days.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!