The second Easter of this year is this weekend, guys. GREEK EASTER. My husband’s favorite holiday and we’re so lucky to have two between us to celebrate. It’s Spring, the BBQ is cleaned and we are ready for a cook-out. It also happens to fall on my birthday this year… so I’m definitely treating myself to some cookies. He can work the grill… and I’ll get these babies ready.
When I first started to experience holidays with my husband’s family, lots of new amazing food to try. And for dessert… always a little cookie tray in everyone’s house filled with Greek cookies. These… are known as “Kourabiedes”, Almond-Butter cookies. My FAVORITE. You may have seen them, they’re usually covered in powdered sugar, so I clearly deviated from that with my version, (I am sweet enough after-all). I’m also only using 1 tbsp of maple sugar here, because the almond and vanilla extracts make me happy enough, why add more sugar?
These cookies have a really nice crumb, crisp on the outside but slightly soft in the middle with a little crunch from the slivered almonds on top. Made with all almond flour, they’re a perfect grain-free cookie that I will be savoring this Sunday.
If you love almonds, you have got to try these!
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp cassava flour (optional for a softer cookie)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp organic grass-fed butter (room temp.) or 2 1/2 tbsp solid coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- slivered almonds for topping
- Pre-heat the oven to 350f degrees.
- Mix dry ingredients together in one bowl and set aside.
- With a stand or hand mixer, beat butter/oil with maple/coconut sugar on medium until creamy, add in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add the egg and keep beating until no more yolk remains.
- Slowly add in the dry mix while still beating until a dough forms.
- With a cookie scoop or spoon, drop cookies onto a lined baking sheet in balls, then shape them into crescent moons with your hands and add slivered almonds on top, pressing them onto the top of the cookies.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes, let cool for a few minutes and serve or store in a container.
for 12 cookies:
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!