How I Knew It Was Time To Go Back To School…
In 2015, I knew I needed a change. I had already started Foodbymars.com and became more and more passionate about healthy eating and really wanted to go back to school to learn about holistic nutrition. I was helping sick family members and my friends make healthier choices, I was answering whatever questions I could from my blog followers and figuring things out as I went along for myself and my husband. It became a calling, but I wasn’t sure what to do with it.
Finally, a good friend of mine and successful health coach said to me… “you’re already acting like a health coach, why not go get certified?” — sometimes you just need someone to wake you up and this was my wake up call! My eyes widened and I asked him where he went to school, and low and behold it was the same place I had bookmarked at least 3 times on each of my devices… thinking “one day, I’ll go there”. The Institute for Integrative Nutrition. After my friend dished on how much he loved it and how huge of a network he was able to build with the alumni, I went home to do some final research and enrolled the very next day. Since he referred me, I got a discount, and since I get so many questions here about my schooling and my experience – I’m sharing and I’m linking each reference here with my own referral link so if you’re reading this and decide to go back to school — you’ll get the same discount I did.
I remember being nervous but so excited to start. In November’15, I started my very first IIN Module and LOVED it. It spoke to everything I was looking for. A module usually takes about a week to complete, and you’ll have a new one each week for a year. With engaging videos, a mobile app, easy downloads, and open-book quizzes, modules are very reasonable to complete. I worked full-time, had my blog part-time, and still never had trouble completing the lessons, quizzes, and assignments. The work is very manageable and easy to listen to and watch on your commute, at home after dinner, and on weekends. This is when I found time to do everything.
As for the content itself, you’ll learn a spectrum of valuable information such as:
- Diets – what they entail, what they’re good for, who might benefit from them, their origin/logic behind it, etc. You’ll be an expert on more diets than you ever knew about before. From veganism to paleo, to macrobiotics – there’s over 100 you’ll touch on.
- Mind, body, and soul – through something called “Primary Food”, you’ll learn much more than just nutrition and what diets could help someone. You’ll learn that there’s so much more to health and well-being like relationships, spirituality, career, exercise, etc. You’ll learn about practices for each and how to help clients (or just yourself and your family) with identifying weak spots of each of these crucial pieces and help them through targeting them little by little.
- The science behind diseases plaguing our country – it is no secret our country and our globe is very sick. Autoimmune diseases are on the rise, it’s projected that 1 in 3 people will have cancer at some point, Diabetes Type 2 is a lifestyle disease that is spreading like wildfire because of excess sugar consumption and sedentary lifestyles, Alzheimer’s, Autism, ADD, ADHD, and other brain dysfunction is all to commonplace in our nation. It’s so important to understand WHY and HOW to prevent it and treat it holistically.
- How to run a successful Health Coaching Business – by the time you’re nearly through with the curriculum, you’ll begin to learn the business tools on how to make money at this if you choose to. The world needs more health coaches, there are sick and unhealthy people everywhere and the more knowledgeable professionals there are to help, the better. There is no shortage of clients if you want to take them on. Working with Integrative Doctors, in Wellness Centers, or for yourself online are all major possibilities. And on the flipside, you could just walk away having had an amazing and transformative year to better your own health and the health of your loved ones. You’ll know how to help others make small but lasting changes. You’ll also have your 1-year Health Coach Certification.
Here’s why I’m an ambassador of The Institute for Integrative Nutrition
All I knew when I started this year-long transformation was that I was hungry to learn and wanted to see what I could do career-wise with this knowledge. Since graduating in 2016, my life has changed in so many ways:
- I was able to finally get answers to my own health struggles I had for YEARS that no conventional doctors could help me with. That’s when I put it all together for myself and went on to find a Naturopath doctor (something I barely understood prior), and I knew how to properly speak to my symptoms. I knew what tests to ask for. And before I knew it, my graduating week, I had my diagnosis of Hashimoto’s Autoimmune Disease and was able to start on medication which was the beginning of a whole new journey. I’m convinced without my education, it would have taken me even longer than it already had to find these answers.
- I was able to more properly and strategically help my loved ones to make lifestyle changes that have lasted and they still till this day are thankful to me for. Helping others is a huge calling for me, and this only solidified it.
- I have met and continue to meet AMAZING PEOPLE. I learned later on in life, that when picking any institution like a school, to ALWAYS check the alumni/network benefits. At the end of the day, you can get an education anywhere, but it’s how you can use your network that will be the most beneficial at times. I’ve met dear friends locally and across the globe from going to IIN and we all have so much in common – this alone has been invaluable.
- This propelled me to continue my education further. After IIN, I knew I was ready to further commit to this as it would be my future career. It enriched my blog, my recipes, my life and health and it solidified my passion and calling to become a Holistic Nutritionist (I will share more info about that soon). IIN was crucial in me coming to this decision.
- Lastly, everyone I’ve recommended this program to – have loved it. And it’s my pleasure to help others and spread the word. As I said, we need more of it in this world.
Please email me with any questions if you are in the midst of considering going back to school and want more information about my education and about IIN in particular. I’d be happy to discuss further. You can contact me at email@example.com.