These little bites came about when I was cooking for a friend who just gave birth and wanted to give her a bunch of easy snacks and sides she could have for the week! I of course was looking to make everything as clean and easy to digest as possible given the amazing transformation her body had just gone through (hi, giving birth, look it up!). And we loved them! I was thinking along the lines of falafel/middle eastern flavors but wanted to make it low-carb and packed with veggies. Mission accomplished!!
The tahini dipping sauce, is quite literally just tahini, mixed with a little water and a squeeze of lemon juice topped with paprika. Easy-peasy. These go great on top of salad or even served as a cute appetizer or snack, plus they’re a winner for meal prep since they keep well in the fridge for a few days 🙂 ENJOY. XO.
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 carrots
- 4 garlic cloves
- handful flat leaf parsley leaves
- handful cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- salt, pepper to taste
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 1 egg, beaten
Dipping sauce: tahini mixed with a little water and lemon juice until it’s a smooth consistency and topped with paprika.
- Pre-heat oven to 375f degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Chop onions, carrots, cauliflower florets (use mostly the heads and not the stalks), garlic and herbs.
- Mix all ingredients in a food processor and place it in a big mixing bowl.
- Add seasonings, lemon zest, almond meal, egg and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Roll the mixture into balls (a cookie dough scooper or ice cream scooper works great, whatever you use, just keep it uniform so it cooks evenly) and drop onto parchment paper sheet.
- Bake for approx. 40 minutes until golden on the outside and cooked in the middle.
- Whip together the dipping sauce for an appetizer/snack or serve over salad!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!