This side dish takes just 15-20 minutes to make and is a nutrient-packed and flavorful compliment to any meal. If you struggle with getting more greens on your plate, this is my favorite way to do it!
Kale is high in fiber, beta carotene, vitamin C and antioxidants; this powerhouse food has been trendy for a reason. When cooked, it’s easier to chew AND digest while opening a whole new world of flavor. Since it’s bitter, that indicates it’s a wonderful food to help with detoxing — so load up!
Garlic is used medicinally for treating the common cold, cardiovascular disease, blood pressure and even diabetes. In this recipe, the garlic is steamed and eaten whole – it infuses nicely with the olive oil giving more flavor to the kale leaves and is mild and creamy to taste (not very pungent).
Between the two of these main ingredients, the healing properties are out of control! I often make and eat this whenever I’m sick… I ate it daily the last time I had a bad cold and it made me feel so much better.
Sautéed Garlic Kale (vegan)
- 1 bunch Lacinto Kale leaves, stems removed (approx. 4 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced into fourths
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth or water
- pinch of sea salt
- Heat olive oil and garlic slices over low heat in a pan on the stovetop for a few minutes (do not burn!)
- Next, add the kale leaves and toss with tongs to get coated fully in the oil so it’s nice and shiny – you can raise the heat a bit to medium as you toss for a few mins.
- Add your liquid, season with salt and cover for 15-20 minutes on low heat.
- It’s done when the garlic is soft and all leaves are nice and tender.
Yield: 3 servings
Prep Time: 00 hrs. 05 mins.
Cook time: 00 hrs. 15 mins.
Total time: 20 mins.
Tags: kale,cooked kale,side dish,vegan,vegetables,garlic,easy kale
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!