This easy and delicious recipe is a play on this Gigantes recipe I posted last year, only this time using buttery cannelloni beans and kale. It’s a MUST on a chilly day and a perfect Sunday project to have leftovers for all week. Why is it anything with tomato sauce tastes even better as it sits? I honestly don’t know, but that makes it a fit for meal prep.
- 1 15oz can cannellini beans
- 1 bunch kale (lacinto or curly), roughly chopped
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 1 large tomato
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3-4 cups water (enough to cover bean mixture)
- Rinse beans in a corridor and set aside.
- Chop onions and garlic and set aside. Pre-heat your oven to 425f degrees.
- Add oil to a cast iron skillet and heat on medium for a couple of minutes, then add chopped onion and sauté with a wooden spoon for 4 minutes. (If you don’t have a skillet to bake in, simply use any sauté pan for these next few steps and pour in a ceramic baking dish afterwards)
- Next, add the kale and sauté for 2-3 minutes until it starts to wilt. Then add: garlic, salt, pepper and stir for a minute, lower the flame slightly.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped carrots, parsley and the bay leaf and continue to sauté using the wooden spoon. Break tomato chunks down and stir for 8 minutes or so.
- Add beans to the pan, stir around. Next pour water (enough to cover the beans and then some).
- Cover the beans with tin foil or a lid and bake for approx. 45 minutes until most water has been absorbed. Uncover and continue to bake. When cooked, you should see a little crust forming around the edges of your dish and the water should be mostly absorbed. Serve!
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!