Sometimes weekday breakfasts can be a struggle… if it’s not quick and easy, and you’re in a rush, you’re at serious risk. Risk of what? Let’s see here…
- Skipping breakfast completely, or not eating enough to keep you full
- Chugging too much caffeine to satiate yourself
- Grabbing a processed, sugar-filled concoction only to crash later on
- Eating the same microwaveable oatmeal over and over again
- Slapping together a random non-balanced meal you scrapped together from your office cupboard!
STOP. STOP THE MADNESS!!
It’s no secret that breakfast is the most important meal of the day for so many reasons. You’re kick starting your metabolism and fueling yourself up to begin your day. Who wants to start off with a half-assed meal, with their stomach grumbling by 10:30am in a meeting where you swear everyone can hear the your bodily functions, or even bloated and tired because you have no idea what you even just ate and what it did to you? NO ONE?!
I personally thrive on a high-protein breakfast with healthy fats and a little bit of fruit to give me great energy, it fills me up till lunch and keeps me going. I was on a mission to figure out how I can create this in a grain-free porridge form that was convenient AND delicious! BINGO. This is it. I was inspired after trying this recipe from Wicked Good Kitchen and made it my own. Switch it up with different toppings… maybe berries one day and kiwi the next. How about a swirl of jam or raw honey with cinnamon and nutmeg? So many options to keep it fresh!
If overnight porridge isn’t your thing, you can easily put this together the same day as well with a little heat. Either add it to a small saucepan or zap it in the microwave. It’s quick anyway you slice it. The flaxseed meal, chia seeds and almond meal do a great job working together to thicken this up. The shredded coconut gives it some more texture and the hemp seeds expand for an even creamier porridge. I don’t add sweetener to the base since you can add it to your liking on top, my preference is with fresh fruit. It’ll come out THICK, add a little drop of your favorite milk or more water to get it to your perfect consistency.
For me, I find that this type of breakfast is what suits me best for a busy day. Sometimes I’ll switch it up with boiled eggs and avocado (more healthy fat and protein) or some coconut yogurt with cinnamon and granola, with a little banana or something!
What about you?
Have you figured out what food combo gets you going in the morning and keeps you satisfied and energetic? I take note of how breakfast results for me especially when trying something new. I pay attention to how I feel right after eating, and then a couple of hours afterward. I check to see if I’m still hungry, how my energy and mood is and digestion. This helps me to figure out what works for my body on certain days. It literally takes 5 minutes to reflect on that and jot any notes down. If you haven’t tried a breakfast experiment, I highly recommend it to know what breakfasts best nourish you in different situations (seasonally, the type of day: workday/weekend, or your health state).
Would love to hear how this Grain-free Porridge does for you!!
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp almond meal
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large mason jar or bowl, mix it up well and store in a container with a lid.
- Refrigerate overnight and mix up in the morning, add milk or more water to loosen up. Optionally microwave for 30 seconds if you’d like to eat it warm or just service cold and add desired toppings such as: fruit, honey and more cinnamon!
- Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and heat over low-medium heat while stirring. After a few minutes, the porridge will thicken.
- Pour the porridge out after you like the texture and serve with desired toppings.
Use #foodbymars to tag your FBM inspired creations! I’d love to see!